dawia bg vs. stradic vs...penn slammer

Rate this topic

dan_d

17 hours ago, Jason B said:

but their line capacities seem Meh

Go with the C5000 in the FL, (same body as the 4000) I have a Stella FJ and Vanquish FB in the C5000 and the new FL shares the same spool and I got ~265 yards of 20# 832 on those reels.

IMO, other than the 1000, the only other two non-SW Shimano reels to buy are the C3000 and C5000 due to better line capy for their perspective size...

"Only through movement will you achieve victory"

On 8/22/2019 at 4:02 PM, dan_d said:

Im looking for a smaller reel to complement my 10' mojo surf....Im using a shimano ultegra xtd 14000 which is a tank of a reel but to heavy to plug all day long. which reel between 

the bg stradic or slammer (if the slammer is on sale for less then 200$) should I get for the rod?  Im thinking a bg 3000 for plugging up to 4 oz pencils? but the shimano reels have always been 

my favorite....

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Quantum Cabo 40 Ptse .....see Alan Hawk's review.

That's good advice. :agree: If you read Alan Hawk a little further, you'll find a comprehensive review of the new Daiwa BG reel which a lot of bang for the buck. On a 10 foot rod (with a 1 to 3 ounce lure range, I'm guessing) I would look at the BG 4000 or a Penn Spinfisher VI 5500. It's all about price and performance. A Shimano Spheros 6K is probably a better choice then the Slammer ... again for the money.

RockfishOn!! :cool:

6 hours ago, Kapfish said:

You paid $400 for your slammer?

No, picked up the BG3000 $69 on sale. The Slammers were $249 full retail when first out that is nearly 4x more . I missed out on the Amazon Prime sale last XMAS fior $149, I did get one on sale from Dick's Sporting for $199 if you must know. (lol)

Edited by Livliner
sp

(*member formerly known as 'garycunn)'

I have fished a lot with these reels, especially a BG 4000, slammer 4500, and back bay 4000. They all handle a quality fish well, but the feel while fishing is very different. If I am throwing smaller plugs with a chance of jigs I would reach for the Saltist every time, but if your main concerns are for bigger plugs only you should get a BG, even with a fair chance of a splash. Those reels are easy to service if you feel there's a need to take a peek inside.

The slammer feels fine in the hand, I do like the handle for long days plugging, but you can drill/swap those knobs in a few minutes for most reels. I like it if I'm up to my tits wading and I know it's taking a wave or two.

I haven't picked up a Stradic FL yet but I can say the NASCI is fun to spin with, but it's become a mono spooled plug troller on my boat. The FL may be more splash friendly 

D777054C-46DD-4A0C-A1F4-7C73DA75370A.jpeg

image.jpg