dan_d

surf
dawia bg vs. stradic vs...penn slammer

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Im looking for a smaller reel to complement my 10' mojo surf....Im using a shimano ultegra xtd 14000 which is a tank of a reel but to heavy to plug all day long. which reel between 

the bg stradic or slammer (if the slammer is on sale for less then 200$) should I get for the rod?  Im thinking a bg 3000 for plugging up to 4 oz pencils? but the shimano reels have always been 

my favorite....

18 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

I own a BG3000 and it is a very solid and smooth reel for the money.  For a 10' rod I would consider bumping up to a 3500 (if you can find one) or 4000. 

Totally agree.  I’d give the slammer strong consideration though if you’re going to have the rod between your legs working pencils in the surf.  I’d worry about the BG or Stradic (fk anyway) getting splashed where the slammer is made for that sort of thing.  I had all three reels broken down recently and the slammer has numerous rubber seals that you don’t find in the others.  It’s the first penn reel I’ve owned and I’m impressed so far.  If the weight is a factor then I’d also consider a spinfisher vi which should be a bit closer to the BG but can also take a splashing. 

Also keep in mind - Daiwa's sizing is not comparable to Penn's.  A BG4000 is larger than a Penn 4000 series reel. 

Go to a Bass Pro and handle all of them.  Bass Pro is really good about price matching and they will match Walmarts online pricing. 

I feel like it's a no brainer considering only one reel is made for getting splashed and let's face it your surt fishing theres a good chance it will. Plus the slammer is a tank. Find one on sale.

I’ve got a penn slammer 5500 on the 10’6”, I feel like it’s balanced pretty good. I have it spoiled with 50lb power pro v2, I wanna say that it doesn’t like being spooled to capacity as I had wind knots pretty frequently, could’ve been my casting but don’t feel like my casting has changed.

Stradic 5000 would be a nice, incredibly smooth fit. The BG would be okay too, but I noticed a lot of line slap from mine on my mojo. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yeah, I too am debating between a stradic FL and Daiwa Back Bay both 4000. They both appear to be winners and can’t go wrong with either (going by reports, not sure they are out yet in th 4 for either). The FL looks like it will be nice for flinging albie lures and sod bank stuff. Both are wicked light, below 10, but their line capacities seem Meh, perfect for 15# albies, but may be low for chucking the pencil you’re talking about with heavier stuff. Was also thinking of the 3500 slammer, but that is considerably heavier, but more water resistant, which is less of a concern for my purposes for sod bank/jetties, and gentleman shore casting.

I probably will go with the FL, just for that longer spoil, but I’ll tell you that new spheros inshore is also looking interesting to throw in your mix.

Edited by Jason B

I have run all three at one point and am still running a BG and a couple slammers. For cheap and calm conditions hard to beat the BG for the price but for all around abuse, great drag and just a great feel the slammer is the one. I have not had the bail ever close on mine yet after about a year of plugging with it. I also run a few VS's and am always a little shy when using reels with bails on the beach but the slammer is probably the first one that has been perfect.

Lee

Been using a BG3000 with Avid 8ft Surf for two seasons now. Use it everywhere but the surf, but I would in a pinch. Light weight combo has been good for rock hopping & back bay. Great down size adjustment for the smaller fish the past few years. Serves me well in the drier environs.   No issues, I spray the roller bearing with water every other time & and oil it up. Hard to beat that reels price point. I have the Slammer 4500 also which is more stout and sealed and 4x the price. The Slammer has an annoying knock sensation when reeled. 

18 mins ago, Livliner said:

Been using a BG3000 with Avid 8ft Surf for two seasons now. Use it everywhere but the surf, but I would in a pinch. Light weight combo has been good for rock hopping & back bay. Great down size adjustment for the smaller fish the past few years. Serves me well in the drier environs.   No issues, I spray the roller bearing with water every other time & and oil it up. Hard to beat that reels price point. I have the Slammer 4500 also which is more stout and sealed and 4x the price. The Slammer has an annoying knock sensation when reeled. 

You paid $400 for your slammer?