ksong

rods for albie/bonito from jetties

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had opportunities to fish albie/bonito at jetties in RI recently.

I brought 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rods. I like to use lighter 10' Suzuki rod, but I am afraid to break the rod while lifting over rocks.

The 9'6" Suzuki rod is great casting small medal lures. 

I observed most anglers use light 7' - 8' rods with Albie Snax.

One angler uses  9' custom rod cutting from butt of 10' Black Hole Suzuki blank and he cast great with light Snax.

For casting light lure like Snax, I feel the 9'6" Suzuki rod is a little stiff though you can cast far with the rod.

I am impressed with light 9' custom salmon rod by North Folk. I thought salmon rods are moderate action, but it is not. 

I think our 8' Black Hole Challenger Bank UL which I am testing is good for casting light lure like Albie Snax.

On the way to NJ, I was thinking to develop ultra light 8' Black Hole Suzuki rod or 8' ultra light Black Hole Charter Special rod for casting Albie Snax. 

Edited by ksong

Posted (edited) · Report post

Another reason you see the 7 and 7 1/2 ft rods is they come with short butt section which if much more comfortable when using soft plastics and twitching with the tip down. 9 ft surf style rods with long butt section are great for launching metal way out but not comfortable when twitching soft plastics. Butt of rod hits side of your body and isn’t comfortable for soft plastics techniques. 

Edited by Tailslap

11 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Another reason you see the 7 and 7 1/2 ft rods is they come with short butt section which if much more comfortable when using soft plastics and twitching with the tip down. 9 ft surf style rods with long butt section are great for launching metal long but not comfortable when twitching soft plastics. Butt of rod hits side of your body and isn’t comfortable for soft plastics techniques. 

Exactly! This is why I use salmon rods, because of the “shorter” butt section. But I’d like to have a rod that looks and feels like a salmon rod but has the “horse power” similar to my 8’ Avid surf....

19 mins ago, Tailslap said:

.. 9 ft surf style rods with long butt section are great for launching metal long but not comfortable when twitching soft plastics. Butt of rod hits side of your body and isn’t comfortable for soft plastics techniques. 

That may be a main reason, people are buying "regular" 9' or 10' surf rod and cutting 6" to 10" from butt to have a better grip working with soft lures.

6 hours ago, ksong said:

I had opportunities to fish albie/bonito at jetties in RI recently.

I brought 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rods. I like to use lighter 10' Suzuki rod, but I am afraid to break the rod while lifting over rocks.

The 9'6" Suzuki rod is great casting small medal lures. 

I observed most anglers use light 7' - 8' rods with Albie Snax.

One angler uses  9' custom rod cutting from butt of 10' Black Hole Suzuki blank and he cast great with light Snax.

For casting light lure like Snax, I feel the 9'6" Suzuki rod is a little stiff though you can cast far with the rod.

I am impressed with light 9' custom salmon rod by North Folk. I thought salmon rods are moderate action, but it is not. 

I think our 8' Black Hole Challenger Bank UL which I am testing is good for casting light lure like Albie Snax.

On the way to NJ, I was thinking to develop ultra light 8' Black Hole Suzuki rod or 8' ultra light Black Hole Charter Special rod for casting Albie Snax. 

id be interested in a lighter charter special for squid and stuff that need a soft tip.

22 mins ago, Inshore said:

Exactly! This is why I use salmon rods, because of the “shorter” butt section. But I’d like to have a rod that looks and feels like a salmon rod but has the “horse power” similar to my 8’ Avid surf....

I use a Avid inshore 7 ‘6”. Great rod. Would be interesting to maybe have a 8’ custom built with a short butt section. Maybe no cork either. 

6 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

One piece 8’ star (1-3)

I have the 2pc, it is nice for the $, but I have a thing/hang up for 9’ rods..... just crazy I guess.... :wee:

12 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Another reason you see the 7 and 7 1/2 ft rods is they come with short butt section which if much more comfortable when using soft plastics and twitching with the tip down. 9 ft surf style rods with long butt section are great for launching metal way out but not comfortable when twitching soft plastics. Butt of rod hits side of your body and isn’t comfortable for soft plastics techniques. 

That is good point. In freshwater bass fishing, most rods have short butt section for the same reason.

The short butt has other purposes ... 

Provides for longer tip section for the “longer rod” casting feel.

Great if you are wade fishing ... keeps butt out of the water during cast...

Serves double duty as a long cast boat friendly rod.