Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sunobskt

Teleconverters

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Who’s for em and who’s agin em considering loss of fstop, possible decline in autofocus speed, some reviews reporting blurry edges etc? I am considering Sony product for Sony 100-400. The 1.4 gets better reviews v the 2.0. Fairly dern pricey. Wanted to try and get a consensus if people were happy with them, did they feel they were worth it. Teleconverters in general, not just Sony. 

Edited by sunobskt

I dont own one, but I've borrowed my dad's 1.4 and used it on my canon100-400. Obviously you need a Tripod and a shutter release. Lotta light loss leads to slower shutter speeds, leads to high iso's, leads to lower IQ IMO. In general though, the quality came out pretty good the couple times I've used it.

For me, very rare occasions I would use it. Shooting the eclipse a few yeas ago. Lunar photography.  Stuff like that. I would never use it for wildlife, and anything other than that I would just get closer to get the shot. Again, just my opinion. I'm sure others have had better success with them.

I have a 1.4 TC and I'm a Nikon shooter. I used to have a 300mm f4 lenses only, that 1.4TC helped tremendously when the subjects were farther away, especially in good lighting.

Now, I'm having more lenses choices and the 300mm is only used when and where a 300mm is appropriate, so the 1.4TC has not been used often anymore. My conclusion is that the 1.4TC doesn't degrade too much of the picture quality when the lighting is good enough, especially when the TC is used for fast prime lenses (e.g. F2.8, F4 lenses), and it doesn't impact the AF speed too much either with these fast lenses. But for slower lenses, I would definitely avoid using the TCs, I would rather crop pictures in this situation.

Avoid 2.0TC at all cost, most of those 2.0TC will probably only produce ok quality pictures for F2.8 lenses. The 1.7TC is somewhere between.

I have a Nikon 1.4 and also a 1.7 teleconverter. I use with my 300mm 2.8 lens and on a friends 500mm lens when I can borrow it. I find them useful.

Guess I was looking for a new toy now that I am about to finish paying for the 100-400, love that 12 month same as cash. Doesn't sound like I will utilize it that much, especially with the loss of light it creates. Besides Sony is out with new 200-600 also a 600 i believe but somebody better start paying me to shoot before I can even dream about it or the 400.