Steve_in_PA

Fall Striper Plugs for Newbie

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I'm new to surf fishing but plan to hit the beaches in NJ and Delaware this fall to start learning about striper fishing.  What plugs should I have in my kit?

One or two metals like deadly dick, Hopkins, kastmaster etc. 

one or two SP minnows. 

A topwater popper like smack smack it or Tsunami talking popper. 

A pencil popper. 

3/4 OZ bucktail white, different trailer options. 

Good to see a fellow bucksco surfcaster on here

Since you are new to surfcasting I would highly suggest keeping things simple to start. IF you hear that the bass are hitting a certain plug/color than by all means go out and buy it immediately.

To start you should fill your bag with:

5" yozuri mag darter

Sp Minnow

Jetty Caster Bucktails 3/4 oz-1.5oz

Super Strike Little Neck Popper

Colors are simple: Black and White until you run into a situation where color makes a difference.

It is good that youre preparing now! I highly suggest that you learn the bait progression in the Fall for NJ and DE. You will want to "match the hatch". Peanut Bunker = Small Swimmers and Bucktails. Big Bunker = Big metal Lips and Big Pencil Poppers, Sandeels = needlefish and tins. Etc.

11 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Since you are new to surfcasting I would highly suggest keeping things simple to start. IF you hear that the bass are hitting a certain plug/color than by all means go out and buy it immediately.

5" yozuri mag darter

Sp Minnow

Colors are simple: Black and White until you run into a situation where color makes a difference.

It is good that youre preparing now! I highly suggest that you learn the bait progression in the Fall for NJ and DE. You will want to "match the hatch". Peanut Bunker = Small Swimmers and Bucktails. Big Bunker = Big metal Lips and Big Pencil Poppers, Sandeels = needlefish and tins. Etc.

You are missing one.

pre-lives-1508877120.jpg.8a2bedc219d7a37226e92be919a054cb.jpg

23 mins ago, hobobob said:

You are missing one.

pre-lives-1508877120.jpg.8a2bedc219d7a37226e92be919a054cb.jpg

I expect all surf anglers to sport a mullet this September

Business in the front, party in the back :rav:

3 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I expect all surf anglers to sport a mullet this September

Business in the front, party in the back :rav:

My mullet days are well in the past. 

4 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

5" yozuri mag darter

Sp Minnow

That's the plan.  I'm not expecting to knock em dead.  Slow and steady.  Learn a little each time out.  I've got a lot of experience flyfishing for trout in fresh water and also bass so I understand there is a learning curve which takes an investment.

Appreciate the inputs from all who replied.

Good advice on here.  I like cordell pencil poppers.   Jigs 1.5,1,and 3/4oz.  To the devices mentioned, I like 2 if not 3 colors.   White or bright colors for low light or stained water.  Realistic looking lures for medium to bright light.  On very dark nights, the fish can see a really dark purple or black lure best.

Dont forget leaders.  I use 30lb on bass and switch to 50 or 80lb with bluefish.  Check your leader and knots often, especially after each bluefish caught.

Another goto I like is a dead eel rig.  Even just a dead eel on a 1/2 or 3/4oz jighead with a heavy hook.  I cast my own jigheads for bucktails.   If I am on an inlet with alot of snags.  I use a jighead with a large grub on it.  Cheapest way to get to the fish and donate to the rock collections..........

With every lure you buy check out youtbue videos on how to use them.  There is different ways to work these lures.

Also, I use teasers   Small dressed hooks a foot or two before your lure.  Could just be a hook with a small 2 or 3 inch grub or gulp shrimp.  Bucktail dressed hooks are great too.

11 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I've got a lot of experience flyfishing for trout

Steve, if you figured out fly fishing for trout you already learned the hardest part of striper fishing :th: Bass, like trout, use the current and structure to feed.  The primary difference is that the currents bass use in the surf are generally short lived and ever changing. Streams, thankfully, only flow in one direction...when waves meet the shore line water piles up, finds the best routes back out to sea and starts heading for those paths - right about that time another wave starts climbing the slope of the beach and impedes the previous wave’s exit. The bigger the waves the stronger the resulting currents. Bass will use the currents and turbulence to their advantage. Some times they’ll be on the inside of a bar feeding when a wave pushes over the bar - and some times they’ll be on the outside feeding when the wave recedes. They’ll feed in any current they can find - over bars, in troughs, along jetties, even when a wave washes over a single rock. 

Same basic idea as fly fishing for trout - get the lure to the bass in manner that the bass would be expecting it :read: I’ve always felt that a bass that believes he has the drop on a lure is a bass that is gonna take a shot at that lure :) Fish plugs like you would a streamer and jigs the way you would a nymph - that will definitely get you started on the right track :)

TimS

5 hours ago, TimS said:

Steve, if you figures out fly fishing for trout you already learned the hardest part of striper fishing :th: Bass, like trout, use the current and structure to feed.  The primary difference is that the currents bass use in the surf are generally short lived and ever changing. Streams, thankfully, only flow in one direction...when waves meet the shore line water piles up, finds the best routes back out to sea and starts heading for those paths - right about that time another wave starts climbing the slope of the beach and impedes the previous wave’s exit. The bigger the waves the stronger the resulting currents. Bass will use the currents and turbulence to their advantage. Some times they’ll be on the inside of a bar feeding when a wave pushes over the bar - and some times they’ll be on the outside feeding when the wave recedes. They’ll feed in any current they can find - over bars, in troughs, along jetties, even when a wave washes over a single rock. 

Same basic idea as fly fishing for trout - get the lure to the bass in manner that the bass would be expecting it :read: I’ve always felt that a bass that believes he has the drop on a lure is a bass that is gonna take a shot at that lure :) Fish plugs like you would a streamer and jigs the way you would a nymph - that will definitely get you started on the right track :)

TimS

I would reread this several times Steve, your learning curve will be shortened as a result.  

Follow Dragons lure selection, would add the Yozuri floating minnow . . . 150, that will give you a plastic swimmer for more shallow water. 

Again thanks for the inputs.  I guess I'll add that I'm looking for recommendations for entry level rods for plugging for bass from the shore.  I currently have a Tica 9' 2 piece rated at 1/2 - 3 Oz.  Bought this ten years ago when I was thinking about getting into salt but never ended up going.  (Long story about a vacation that got canceled due to hurricane.)  The rod is conventional.  Paired with a Tica conventional reel.  I'm very comfortable with conventional having a lot of experience with them on freshwater.

TimS: Appreciate the advice.  I've been reading and watching some You-Tubes.  As an engineer I tend to start out more analytical.  Now I have to get on the beach and apply to what I see.

I tend to pack pretty light with the smaller Shimano surf bag. 

1/2, 3/4 and 1-1/2 oz bucktails - White

Long Straight Ottertails - White

1-5/8 oz YoZuri Surface Cruiser - Pink

1-1/4 oz Hydro Minnow - Silver/Black

1.1 oz SP Minnow 15F - Blurple

7.5" Sluggos 6/0 Owner Beast - Black 

3/4 oz Hopkins Shorty - Green Tube

1 oz Diamond Jig - Yellow Tube

5" Storm Swim Shads - White

I occasionally carry around 1/4 oz jig heads and 4" Zoom Flukes in white. 

I always want to buy more but I think that my selection is fairly simple, cost effective, covers the entire water column and bait selection pretty well. The only thing I might consider adding this fall is some 2 oz danny swimmers but we will see. 

I also think it's funny because around 75% of my fishing is with a 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz bucktail. I have yet to catch a fish on a pencil but have owned quite a few...