coastalfreak

Favorite Grills/Smokers

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I've really started to move away from Gas grills. 

Got a Kamado Joe that cooks some delicious meats, and my dad recently got a Louisiana Grill. Basically a knockoff of a Traeger but should work fine. 

I have a Smokin It 1 and I love it.  Not too big since I don't smoke anything too large.  It's electric but the smoke flavor sure does come through.  I like the fact that I don't have to keep an eye on it and keep putting wood in it.  

On 8/22/2019 at 10:34 AM, coastalfreak said:

I've really started to move away from Gas grills. 

Got a Kamado Joe that cooks some delicious meats, and my dad recently got a Louisiana Grill. Basically a knockoff of a Traeger but should work fine. 

Got a Kamado also and love it. Use that and the gas grill, and a weber charcoal that all have their uses. Need plenty of square inches when cooking a variety of foods. Still like the gas for quick and easy.

Wrong Forum guys. This should be in the Cooking Forum. I'm a moderator, but dont know how to move stuff since this last upgrade.

I have a primo brand kamado that I was recently given and a weber kettle grill.  I'm so used to the weber that I haven't used the kamado a ton yet.  Maybe this weekend, I have a group to cook for and don't have a meal in mind yet. 

8 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I have a primo brand kamado that I was recently given and a weber kettle grill.  I'm so used to the weber that I haven't used the kamado a ton yet.  Maybe this weekend, I have a group to cook for and don't have a meal in mind yet. 

Mine was a gift and didn't jump right into it, wish I had. You can really regulate the temp. You can make it more of a science once you get it figured out compared to an art with the weber kettle. Used the weber last night on some chicken thighs with bbq sauce last minute, was out of gas and didn't feel like messing with the primo. They were so good. If I had a group I'd have them all going. Low and slow in the primo, grilled stuff on the weber and veggies on the gas.

I have 2 water bullet smokers. I put a cheapo hotplate in one and left the other one charcoal. I use the stick type only. I also have the little chief electric job. LOVE IT. Also have the cast iron brick sized chip box that we use on the gas grill. We use mainly cherry, hickory, apple and mesquite? pellet type chips . We buy  them in 20 pound bags. Just made some Fallow Deer jerky out of the last of my stash. YUMMMMMIE.. Stash

Plain cheap Masterbuilt Electric Smoker 30" here, with external cold smoke generator. Separate control of smoke and heat makes it easy. Way different than MES without it.

Weber 6 burner gas grill with side burner and rotiserre, largest propane one they make, Weber Smoky Mountain 18.5 smoker.

Weber all the way. Vertical smoker is way to go IMO.

One of the highlights of working on Derf's house and staying with him and Deb, was always when Derf left me working at 2 or 3 every afternoon to go get the smoker going and make dinner.  I would always smile knowing some good chow was gonna be waiting.

Dunno what make/model his was, but it worked and he had it down to a science. 

Rest in Peace buddy :cry:

5d705daa60cbe_Picture395.jpg.8f7ee99dadd5a5dba59bf8d3acc67a5d.jpg

5d705db4e975b_Picture402.jpg.d8641eed83542947a68321db34f58c27.jpg

5d705dbe12e2d_Picture403.jpg.1049c5155edc0ffd9dd62542b942d545.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Still cant break habit with my Webers. Had an offset New Braunfels for many years, but it was an undertaking anytime you wanted to cook. Had plenty of bullets electric and charcoal, but the simplicity of the Kettles and old school Genesis are my favs and go to's. 56451244223__C46532C9-CD58-4197-8DE7-24235C9CF722.JPG.6941170882de5c230bb331b8cea91294.JPG

Edited by iceberg57