cudoho

Cape Point surfing

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Knowing the locals dont like seeing braided line when the Point gets crowded. Since it will be my first time there and I want to make friends,

what size of mono do you suggest to put on VR175 reel for general surfing there or with Carolina rig etc.?

People been saying 25# with 50# leader. thank you

Sounds fine for drum and bluefish but way too heavy for spanish. I'd check at the Red Drum. See what they have been catching and gear up accordingly. 

From what I've seen in the fishing reports there have been a lot of sharks at the Point but the specks have been red hot in the sound.

Posted (edited) · Report post

25lb mono sounds like rope to me. I've used 17lb on my heavy rods for a very long time and other than breaking off some huge sharks, never had an issue. 17lb mono with a 50lb shock leader will handle any fish you are likely to hook into. You'll find most of the guys at the point are running 15lb or 17lb as their main line..

Edit to say that this advice pertains to the big fish/ big bait rod, not a lure tossing or smaller fish rod.. 

Edited by ByronPA

You can use braid at the point on your spinning rod set ups for Blues and Spanish. 

But if you pull out a 12'-13' surf rod and throw braid you might get some looks.  Everyone is pretty much throwing a 12-14' rod with conventional reels.  Main line is generally 16-20lb mono with 50lb shock to a drum rig.  When the sharks are thick I throw a short section of 400lb mono to a 10/0 circle. 

Edited by animalbarrie

For drum or big blues in the fall and spring, look at 17 or 20 lb mono and a shock leader of 15-18 feet of 50 or 60 lb mono.  For casting metal for smaller blues and spaniards, go much lighter, 10, 12, or 14 lb mono.  This time of the year, there's not much need for the big heaver unless you want to tangle with a shark.  Now in a couple of months, it will be different.  At that point the drum should be starting to move in with the occasional big bluefish and you'll want a really stout "heaver."

If you are fishing in a crowd for big reds you definitely want to use 17-20 main line, which is what everybody else will be using.  Braid or heavier mono could cut off others.  Needless to say not a way to make friends.  

Also helps to use a hi-vis color line. Yellow is common.

Edited by NH Paul

When I saw your heading I thought....no way.....Big difference in Cape Point Surfing and Cape Point Surf Fishing...

I have seen folks surf down there at times, but not often.  There are too many large toothy critters for me!  Just have to watch a few of the big sharks get reeled in, or see the spinners doing aerial acrobatics at the point to decide that perhaps there are safer places to surf:)