Popasilov

ASMFC Public Hearing dates released for SB draft addendum

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Suebert2 said:

The troll who droned on for 10 minutes was acting very childish as the night progressed.  The officers whet over to him more than once to tell him to quiet down.  When he started yelling at the gentlemen towards the end who brought up the big picture, I was so happy the gentlemen turned around and told him to shut his mouth.   I started clapping and others joined in.

I get where the party boat guys are coming from but I don't understand how they do not realize if something isn't done now there won't be any fish left....then what.

I do not agree with the data.  I think they take more of a share then the data is showing.  Especially now, everyone and their brother are charter captains. However, until someone comes up with a better way, it's what we have to go by I guess.

That troll is a bit dangerous.  He gets vindictive and engages in prolonged and obsessive personal attacks.  I'm his bogeyman at the moment, but Ross is on his list, too, as is John McMurray.  I suspect that things are going to get to the crimial level before this is over.

It seems that so many of the boats don't look ahead at all.  it's always exploit today, and don't worry about the future.  They were adamant back in the '80s that winter flounder regulations would hurt them, and managed to convince the DEC back then to adopt rules that were less restrictive than needed.  We can see how that turned out.  Now, they're against the wall.  Blues overfished, bass overfished, blackfish overfished, no flounder, very few cod, no winter whiting, no spring mackerel, fluke generally scarce.  Sea bass and porgies are the bulk of their business.  And the new operational stock assessment shows that sea bass are healthy, at more than twice the biomass target, but abundance has been decreasing steadily since 2014, and will continue to decrease in the futue, with 2018 recruitment (2017 year class) the worst in the time series.  Porgies are in similar condition, at twice the biomass target, but below average recuritment in 2016, 2017 and 2018 boding ill unless recuritment picks up soon.  So they're a little desperate.

As far as the data goes, it's probably pretty good.  The number of trips made by private boat and surf fishermen is so high that even with the larger numbers of charters, they make up a very small part of the overall picture.  On the other hand, individually, they take a lot of fish.  For 2014-2018, they were responsible for ablut 2.5% of the trips, but 12.3% of the landings.

That guy ( Troll ) was an embarrassment. Most presenters kept it fairly tight and to the point regardless of their position. There were a few passionate "we have to do something" pleas. I felt like most of them really wanted to scream about the stupidity of continuing to over harvest.

How is it that the choices are formulated and never include gill netting, closing the spawning grounds during the spawn, a more reasonable chance of success, a larger size for MD and the Hudson etc.. All we ever have to work with is size and bag limits which is only a piece of the puzzle. And it seems once again, Conservation Equivalency. If we are going to have CE the scientists should have been working on that at east a year before the public comment meetings. What we have now will be a last minute , unvetted, scramble like the last time. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wish I could have made this meeting, thanks to those who did attend and speak on behalf of the species.  I suspect a pole-shift is coming, hopefully in time before the reprocutions of irresponsible harvest are unable to reverse them selves effectively....such as many other afoermentioned and still depleted resources.

Edited by DeepBlue85

7 hours ago, CWitek said:

He already knows how he's going to vote.  No need for him to be there.

Well I hope everything is OK with him/family.  And assumed what you posted too.  I have been following him for a few years and see how he operates. He has a public job and he should know that the people do ask questions from time to time and should be answered back.  Others and I have yet to here form him by call or email.  I think the governor show know about this.   He should have been at this meeting to address the public unless something did come up.  Which to this day no one seems to know.   

One question I wished I asked but did not was......if this works at 35 inchs.  How long will it take to rebuild the stocks?

The "Troll" not my words.  Has been acting this way for years. We all know Gilmore was playing with mic on him to keep him distracted.  I do not believe he is a help to his cause but wish him luck and health. This is not my first time seeing him speak as I have been attends as many meetings I can since 2008.  I have seen bass decline in my fishing areas since 2008.      

Edited by Chrisabbatiello

26 mins ago, Chrisabbatiello said:

Well I hope everything is OK with him/family.  And assumed what you posted too.  I have been following him for a few years and see how he operates. He has a public job and he should know that the people do ask questions from time to time and should be answered back.  Others and I have yet to here form him by call or email.  I think the governor show know about this.   He should have been at this meeting to address the public unless something did come up.  Which to this day no one seems to know.   

One question I wished I asked but did not was......if this works at 35 inchs.  How long will it take to rebuild the stocks?

The "Troll" not my words.  Has been acting this way for years. We all know Gilmore was playing with mic on him to keep him distracted.  I do not believe he is a help to his cause but wish him luck and health. This is not my first time seeing him speak as I have been attends as many meetings I can since 2008.  i have seen bass decline in my fishing areas since 2008.      

Estimate of 13 years, bounded by the usual uncertainty, to rebuild if F is successfully reduced to target.

9 mins ago, CWitek said:

Estimate of 13 years, bounded by the usual uncertainty, to rebuild if F is successfully reduced to target.

Its so sad that it will take that long and its a 50 percent chance it will work.  ASMFC has not one success story.   If it was a business with no success for this long it would have been out of business.  Why do these states keep taking our tax money for something that does not work.  I know our commissioner or not paid but there names just show nothing but failure.  Failure to the charterer capt. and all other anglers.... 

6 mins ago, Chrisabbatiello said:

Its so sad that it will take that long and its a 50 percent chance it will work.  ASMFC has not one success story.   If it was a business with no success for this long it would have been out of business.  Why do these states keep taking our tax money for something that does not work.  I know our commissioner or not paid but there names just show nothing but failure.  Failure to the charterer capt. and all other anglers.... 

The sad truth is that with all its faults, ASMFC is still better than nothing, as was the case prior to passage of the Atlantic Striped Bass Conservation Act in 1984.  Then, it was a pure race to the bottom, with each state trying to catch as many bass as it could before it’s neighbors caught them, regardless of stock decline.  A few were better than that, but not many.  The problem is who gets to vote on management issues today.  Back in the ‘80s and ‘90s, state biologists controlled the vote; today, the majority of the voting power is vested in the legislative and governors’ appointees, who are usually not scientists and often have their own economic interests in the outcome of the vote.

And this I know as Gilmore looked very political that night and other times via email. I am not saying to have nothing but we should have it replaced with something that works.  Because this system has failed some many times.  And there is no accountability to the people in charge of the vote.  Just image having this reputation in the private sector.  In my feild I would be fired in 3 months tops.  

Edited by Chrisabbatiello

8 mins ago, CWitek said:

; today, the majority of the voting power is vested in the legislative and governors’ appointees, who are usually not scientists and often have their own economic interests in the outcome of the vote.

Translated

Filling their own pockets with kick back money

:howdy:

23 hours ago, Suebert2 said:

When he started yelling at the gentlemen towards the end who brought up the big picture, I was so happy the gentlemen turned around and told him to shut his mouth.   I started clapping and others joined in.

That’s Captain Jim Levison.  Longtime Light tackle guide out of montauk.  He a retired NYPD Detective  - Excellent guide and a gentleman.

the party boat clown, that guy is such an ass.  If something happens to witek or McMurray they won’t have to look far.  That guy’s Facebook postings are some sort of strange violent manifesto. 

10 hours ago, CWitek said:

That troll is a bit dangerous.  He gets vindictive and engages in prolonged and obsessive personal attacks.  I'm his bogeyman at the moment, but Ross is on his list, too, as is John McMurray.  I suspect that things are going to get to the crimial level before this is over.

It seems that so many of the boats don't look ahead at all.  it's always exploit today, and don't worry about the future.  They were adamant back in the '80s that winter flounder regulations would hurt them, and managed to convince the DEC back then to adopt rules that were less restrictive than needed.  We can see how that turned out.  Now, they're against the wall.  Blues overfished, bass overfished, blackfish overfished, no flounder, very few cod, no winter whiting, no spring mackerel, fluke generally scarce.  Sea bass and porgies are the bulk of their business.  And the new operational stock assessment shows that sea bass are healthy, at more than twice the biomass target, but abundance has been decreasing steadily since 2014, and will continue to decrease in the futue, with 2018 recruitment (2017 year class) the worst in the time series.  Porgies are in similar condition, at twice the biomass target, but below average recuritment in 2016, 2017 and 2018 boding ill unless recuritment picks up soon.  So they're a little desperate.

As far as the data goes, it's probably pretty good.  The number of trips made by private boat and surf fishermen is so high that even with the larger numbers of charters, they make up a very small part of the overall picture.  On the other hand, individually, they take a lot of fish.  For 2014-2018, they were responsible for ablut 2.5% of the trips, but 12.3% of the landings.

I agree on the dangerous part.  I have seen the attacks on all 3 of you and how he gets everyone riled up.

The regulation on sea bass and porgies amazes me.  You see coolers upon coolers filled with porgies coming off the party boats.  As I said in my comment on Wednesday night...That is what I hear about the old days of weakfish and flounder.  How they used to fill garbage cans full of them.  Look how that turned out.

33 mins ago, Cpalms said:

That’s Captain Jim Levison.  Longtime Light tackle guide out of montauk.  He a retired NYPD Detective  - Excellent guide and a gentleman.

the party boat clown, that guy is such an ass.  If something happens to witek or McMurray they won’t have to look far.  That guy’s Facebook postings are some sort of strange violent manifesto. 

He was very sweet.  I was speaking to him a little before hand but couldn't remember his name.  

I can't believe the other guy is a business owner and posts/says the things he does about anyone and is still in business.

Saw the video of the troll speaking last night posted on FB.  Short angry guy - reminded me of the Bagel Boss guy.  Very incoherent, rambling on about somebody being anti-Trump, God putting fish in the ocean to be eaten, implied that surfcasters and "light tackle" fishermen were elitists, adamant that since there has been a big pod of fish in deep water in LIS that the stock is fine, very strange.  

11 hours ago, Jmat321 said:

......, adamant that since there has been a big pod of fish in deep water in LIS that the stock is fine, .... 

Sure it is.

Just, nobody found that pod, yet.

That pod is cruising around Atlantis, so as soon as we find Atlantis, we will see that big pod of stripers, or is it other way around?

Find stripers and we will find Atlantis