Popasilov

ASMFC Public Hearing dates released for SB draft addendum

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Not my post, thought it would be worth posting here, too.

Original post by Suebert2 in Main forum.

For us, on Long Island, hearing will be hold on September 4th  at

205 North Belle Mead Rd, East Setauket NY

Contact information John Maniscalco at 631 644-0430

In case anyone is interested.  Now is your chance for your voice to be heard

Letter are also being accepted until 5:00 pm Oct 7.

Max Appelman

Fishery Management Plan Coordinator

1050 N Highland St

Suite A-N

Arlington, VA 22201

703-842-0741 (fax)

comments@asmfc.org (subject line:Striped Bass Draft Addendum VI)

ExtractPage1.jpg

ExtractPage2.jpg

One thing to be aware of here is that while the date will remain the same, the location will probably change.

The meeting room at the DEC office is fairly small; I think that it can only hold something like 90 people.  Thus, the DEC is looking for a new location that will make it easier to accommodate all of the people who are expected to (and better, if they care about the fishery) show up.

Thus, keep your eye on the DEC releases to see where the meeting will ultimately be held.

I'll let you know when I hear anything.

Just a reminder that tonight's meeting has been moved:

Striped Bass Draft Addendum VI Public Hearing

September 4, 2019, 6:00 PM

Ballroom (Golf Course Observatory) at Bethpage State Park Clubhouse, Bethpage State Park
99 Quaker Meetinghouse Road
Farmingdale, New York 11735

Hope to see you there :) 

Double Reminder for TONIGHT'S 6 to 9 Pm Hearing in Farmingdale.

Another 1/2 hrs drive each way for me & my fellow North Fork Anglers

Posted (edited) · Report post

Who attended and what did you think?

I heard the the fishing magazine (not sure if I can say which one) live streamed on social media so if you want to watch it I am sure you can search their page.

Edited by Suebert2

1 hour ago, Suebert2 said:

Who attended and what did you think?

I heard they the fishing magazine (not sure if I can say which one) live streamed on social media so if you want to watch it I am sure you can search their page.

it felt more like a narrow representation of the people involved in the fishery. It was essentially Surfcasters and a few light tackle guys versus a new for-hire group of thugs who wanted to jeer and disrupt other speakers. A few times the police had to ask a couple of them to tone it down.

Some traditional attendees weren’t there or didn’t speak, like the East Hampton Baymen, a number of other surf clubs, Boating organizations, no tackle manufacturers other than Van Staal, no B&T people, very few outdoor writers or publications got anywhere near the mic

a number of other fishing / conservation orgs did not attend or did not speak either

very odd

I only had three minutes but my main point was 

“how was it there were no targets or triggers adhered to, and how did we miss years of forecasts that we were approaching overfishing yet all that happened was defer and delay?”

but I’d  say the majority who spoke asked for more conservation 

a size limit of 1@35 was the consensus, but the for hires wanted a smaller fish 

Edited by JohnP

Johnp, thanks for yr info

Suebert2, can't find any streaming of the meeting

Couldn't get a ride, but I'll write ...

32 mins ago, frazerp said:

Johnp, thanks for yr info

Suebert2, can't find any streaming of the meeting

Couldn't get a ride, but I'll write ...

It looks like it’s on the Fisherman magazine’s Facebook page (I cant view it but I see a video there)

One of the most notable aspects of the night was that there were actually some new--and younger--faces speaking out for enhanced conservation measures.  That was nice to see.

Of course, as JohnP noted last night, in other ways it felt like Groundhog Day.  Both of us were at similar hearings and various state and fishing organization meetings back in 1995, making basically the same arguments that we made last night--that the limit should be 35 inches (36 inches back then), that managers should be emphasizing an abundant stock, etc.  

And the same for-hire guy who was screaming "How dare you!" support conservation measures back in '95 rambled on for close to 10 minutes last night, without ever directly addressing the issues proposed in the Addendum, which certainly brought back old memories.

But on the whole, things didn't go badly.  And the fact that the people speaking in favor of conservation spanned a host of demographics, with old and young, men and women, and a host of ethnicities all saying the same thing, hopefully sent the right message.

CWitek - thanks muchly for yr post & your last paragraph implies that a concerned public in a democracy will do the right thing - hopefully as you noted ...

The 2 & 1/2 hr video is on The Fisherman's facebook page

Edited by frazerp

12 hours ago, JohnP said:

it felt more like a narrow representation of the people involved in the fishery. It was essentially Surfcasters and a few light tackle guys versus a new for-hire group of thugs who wanted to jeer and disrupt other speakers. A few times the police had to ask a couple of them to tone it down.

John, sorry I didn't know you would be there or I would have tried to find you to say hello.

9 hours ago, CWitek said:

One of the most notable aspects of the night was that there were actually some new--and younger--faces speaking out for enhanced conservation measures.  That was nice to see.

Charlie, it was nice to see you again.

I was the 2nd person to speak.  I hate speaking in public but it was something I felt I needed to do.  I wasn't sure if a lot of rec anglers were going to speak.  I just wish I wasn't 2nd...lol  I think I did ok but at least I said what I felt needed to be said.

The troll who droned on for 10 minutes was acting very childish as the night progressed.  The officers whet over to him more than once to tell him to quiet down.  When he started yelling at the gentlemen towards the end who brought up the big picture, I was so happy the gentlemen turned around and told him to shut his mouth.   I started clapping and others joined in.

I get where the party boat guys are coming from but I don't understand how they do not realize if something isn't done now there won't be any fish left....then what.

I do not agree with the data.  I think they take more of a share then the data is showing.  Especially now, everyone and their brother are charter captains. However, until someone comes up with a better way, it's what we have to go by I guess.

9 hours ago, frazerp said:

CWitek - thanks muchly for yr post & your last paragraph implies that a concerned public in a democracy will do the right thing - hopefully as you noted ...

The 2 & 1/2 hr video is on The Fisherman's facebook page

Agree ^^^

Glad you were able to find the video.

16 hours ago, Chrisabbatiello said:

Where was Emerson Hasbrouck?   Hope all is well.  

He already knows how he's going to vote.  No need for him to be there.