ThrowinPlugs

What Makes the St Croix Legend a $600 rod?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Just curious. This isnt a d--- measuring contest, brand comparison, brand bashing blah blah thread. I'm looking for actual, intelligent feedback. What makes an off the shelf, St Croix, 2 piece rod $600? Looking at ODM, Century, Lamiglas rods in the $350-450 range makes sense in the most borderline way possible. I just dont understand or see what the Legend has over say an Avid, or a Gen 1 Mojo (mines still kicking 4 years later). Also, I have a factory Lamiglas 1201L and a custom 1201m. Both of which feel substantially more heavy duty, for not even half the cost of a legend. 

Seriously just curious, for those of you who fish them. What's the big hubbub?

Dont buy the 600$ one.  The new one is coming out and they lowered costs by 60$ per sku and made a larger first guide.  

3 mins ago, Goldy said:

Dont buy the 600$ one.  The new one is coming out and they lowered costs by 60$ per sku and made a larger first guide.  

Pay the extra and go with the original rv guides.  You can feel and hear the difference during casting.

Try price out those rv torzite titanium guides on mudhole. It's a no chum change. 

I'm guessing the 15 year transferable warranty has a lot to do with it. I think they build the cost of the warranty into their rods, which makes sense, and I'm OK with that considering they seem to make a quality product and will stand behind it to replace it. Also, they'll offer you a step up for a decreased price vs buying new, which some may see as pressuring/upselling and unnecessary, but I see it as a good way to get a discount on another rod. I really don't know too much about tackle though, I've only really been taking fishing and fishing equipment seriously since about 2015 when I got my first kayak. 

Fuji Titanium Torzite guides (go on mudhole and price out a set...cha ching)

Blanks rolled and wrapped in the USA

Warranty

The new models are using Fuji Titanium K framed fuji slim sic guides which bring a price reduction.

They have two types, one with K guides, one with torzite guides, the latter being the $600 one.

I have the one with the torzite guides and the only thing I can say about it is-- wow! Not to be confused with "regular surf fishing" lol, I use mine here in S. Florida for top-water blacktip shark action...plug exploding, line ripping action bar none! Rod does the job...period.

That's what makes it worth $600 in my opinion.

IMG_3810.JPG.d300756ae452becec39cfac7f404f5da.JPGIMG_E3827.JPG.28714b5964c98cf19f110621307bdee8.JPGIMG_E3802.JPG.d11670e11dbc204ae9075525ad119565.JPG

1) Made in America 

2) titanium torzite guides $$$

3) St. Croix premium blank

4) 15 year warranty (basically insurance you pay for upfront)

These are excellent rods. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Owned both the old and new Legend Elite salmon & steelhead 9'6" heavy. Incredible rods that can handle just about anything I can throw at it.

Edited by StripedBasstardz

Thanks for all the input! I had no idea about the warranty being 15 years, that's insanity. Also those torzite guides are crazy money! What's the action like on these bad boys? Might be a worthy 15 year investment around tax time.

St Croix rods break and it is a insurance policy. They figure they will probably have to replace the rod at least twice in 15 years. Oh and the guides.

St. Croix price tag makes it a $600 rod. Titanium guides around $130 for 1 set retail. Costs St. Croix far less. Probably $75-80. High end blank. Warranty is good but but not worth big $$$ since all good rods are warrantied. 

Large profit margin. Good rod. High price tag.

Retail cost for the set of titanium torzites on the 9ft rod is $291 without tax. Fuji's distributors pricing still puts that number North of $175, regular wholesale cost is probably around $235 give or take. $291 is the retail cost at pretty much any rod building shop that carries Fuji guides.  

Retail for the blank is $230 for the 9ft if I remember correctly.