drumfish213

Mystery Basement Water

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I have two spots in my finished (with carpeting) basement. Both are along an exterior wall and the water seems to be coming from the wall towards the center of the room. There is a french drain around the entire perimeter, which I have tried to make sure is clear and the best I can tell is clear. The sump is also working correctly. I don't think there is a leaking pipe anywhere based on my inspection of things. It seems like the water is coming through the floor. In the one spot I pulled up the carpet and dried things out and it has remained dry (with no carpet). The other area is new but has a lot more water and will not stay dry once I dry it (using a carpet cleaner, fans, and dehumidifier). We have had some rain but this seems like a lot of water based on the amount of rain we have had.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Drum, don't write the final checks for yer pool guy and/or mason yet. !!!

Srsly, I hope ya didn't. 

There's very likely a connection.

Not casting blame, just saying, do yer due diligence. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Drum, don't write the final checks for yer pool guy and/or mason yet. !!!

Srsly, I hope ya didn't. 

There's very likely a connection.

Not casting blame, just saying, do yer due diligence. 

Already thought of that, thanks @Ben Lippen. That project is still in the middle and the bulk of the money is still mine, so we are good there. Looking for a connection, but the pool is on the complete opposite side of the house. Pool is in the back, water would be under where the front door is. 

Edited by drumfish213

I'm feeling ya buddy.

And definitely not trying to cast aspersions on yer contractors,.....

But my first thought was that.

Just now, Ben Lippen said:

I'm feeling ya buddy.

And definitely not trying to cast aspersions on yer contractors,.....

But my first thought was that.

Mine as well, but so far the clues lead to maybe another issue. Tomorrow I am launching a full blown investigation...Update to follow. 

I'd send ya my best guy, but I don't have one for this.

I can follow the raindrop down to the ground.

After that it's on other guys., lol.

Check yer water meter/bill. Might have cut an unknown sprinkler line.

You prolly don't even have a meter do ya?

They took mine out under my loudly voiced objections!! They put in a scan reader.

This was two years after we found out that the meter reader that the town had hired, was dyslexic !!!!

Edited by Ben Lippen

12 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Inground pool?  House have any springs under it?  They block one of the springs off?

Inground but it has been there long before the issue started. We are just replacing the line and removing the concrete around it to replace with pavers.

Could be that the ground is over saturated from all the rain we have gotten recently? I have a few wet spots at the base of my basement wall from the ground retaining so much water and the sump is dry just a few feet away.

7 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

Could be that the ground is over saturated from all the rain we have gotten recently? I have a few wet spots at the base of my basement wall from the ground retaining so much water and the sump is dry just a few feet away.

That is what I am thinking, although it seems like a lot of water based on how much rain we have had. I am going to remove part of the wall today to check and make sure there isn't an obvious pipe leak.

5 mins ago, drumfish213 said:

That is what I am thinking, although it seems like a lot of water based on how much rain we have had. I am going to remove part of the wall today to check and make sure there isn't an obvious pipe leak.

Good luck hopefully it not a big issue!  Getting any water in the basement is a chitty feeling 

I have a rental property and each spring, I inspect and let the hvac guy come in for maintenance.

I noticed several walls in the unfinished basement that had salt and mineral deposits and at least one that was noticeably damp (stupid tenant never reported this!).

Asked my hvac guy for his two cents and he said, "Looks like you have a clogged rain gutter and it's flowing under the eves into the wall and down your basement.

We looked outside.  It had just rained the night before.  Sure enough, we see a big wad of leaves overhanging one side and water dripping along the exterior wall.  We find similar on the other side.

We also found the landscaper had hit one of the gutter drainpipes and dislodged the elbow that goes into the diverter.

And we found a diverter that was put in backwards so that water splashed back toward the house!

Inside the house I went upstairs and found that water was seeping thru the ceiling on one side in a closet ceiling - Again, tenant did not report!

I flipped the concrete diverter the other way and put the elbow back in place.

Had the HOA manager send someone to fix the gutters on the roof.

Cleaned the mineral deposits with a rag and warm water and let it dry for a few days with a dehumidifier running.

Seventy five percent of the problem was now solved.  One wall still had water seeping from the cracks.  Looking at the exterior, and adjacent neighbor has some kind of sump outlet that flows out near that area and had eroded the ground so there was only loose gravel exposed.  I notified the HOA that they need to install a French drain there.

In meantime, I mixed up a few cups of hydraulic cement (Got at the local hardware store for like $7 - stuff hardens in 10 minutes!) and sealed the seams between the bricks where the water was seeping in.  Problem solved!

Edited by BillHoo

Tracing a leak can be difficult. Water will find a way. This video explains this pretty well. Meaning a suspected culprit (or not) maybe your issue. The " leak" doesn't have to be close to where you're seeing the water. That said, when you're doing work on something that houses water and suddenly have water showing where it doesn't belong, it would be the first place I'd look, as Ben said. I had a leak from a shower valve upstairs a few years ago. The first spot we found water was about 5' away from the wall it had run down and then pooled in a low spot in the slab and soaked the rug. The path it took didn't soak the rug on the surface. Remember to look for the simplest solution first. 

Edited by Scallywag

2 hours ago, odiemike86 said:

Agreed, ground water levels in some areas have never been higher.