jobou

Ocean Lures Peanut Bunker

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I still have a half dozen of the 5 inch Swimming Baitfish model.  It's like top 3 best plugs that I always carry.

My uncle is a master woodworker and he took some measurements of a few of mine.  He's going to try to turn some in his woodshop.

Is the peanut bunker version weighted/loaded at all?

56 mins ago, Theiceman33 said:

I still have a half dozen of the 5 inch Swimming Baitfish model.  It's like top 3 best plugs that I always carry.

My uncle is a master woodworker and he took some measurements of a few of mine.  He's going to try to turn some in his woodshop.

Is the peanut bunker version weighted/loaded at all?

Sorry to highjack but you think he could make some sandeels? I would buy a good amount!

sandeel.jpg

1 hour ago, Kones1 said:

Gonna take a few try’s. That’s ok I’m looking for something new to build. Kinda like a cowboy jr I’m thinking 

I'd be interested in a half dozen or so if it's worth your while.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, VitaminDee said:

Sorry to highjack but you think he could make some sandeels? I would buy a good amount!

sandeel.jpg

He would most likely need the actual lure.  He was using little calipers and making a lot of measurements to get the exact shape of the plug.

16 hours ago, daves745t said:

How do you fish that peanut bunker?  Skim it across the surface?

This is for pitching into a frenzy and twitching and ripping 

These are made 1 at a time as I have no duplicator. Old school. They’ve been drilled and weights have been positioned where I think they should be. Soaking 24 hrs in linseed and spirits now. Next week I will prime and paint. Then another week I can epoxy coat. Should be good to go. Hopefully they catch 

Compared to other bigger/longer plugs these go a bit quicker   They are easier to drill through and only 1 single tail hook and some weight. I’m doing 2 @ 2 oz , 2 @1.5 oz and 2@1.25 oz. to see how they swim

I'm imagining a day many moons ago in September when scads of big stripers were right on top just swimming back and forth lazily slashing at schools of peanuts through the canal.  Nothing we threw interested them... but I think one of these tossed and allowed to drop and twitch might have gotten some attention  :)

1 hour ago, Kones1 said:

Compared to other bigger/longer plugs these go a bit quicker   They are easier to drill through and only 1 single tail hook and some weight. I’m doing 2 @ 2 oz , 2 @1.5 oz and 2@1.25 oz. to see how they swim

How are you taking down the sides?   I've made plugs like this by offcenter turning before I got my belt sander.  Belt sanding is harder to make them taper top and bottom, but it's a lot quicker to make them skinny!

Those OLs were made out of epoxy resin and sanded down to shape. I know cause I cracked split a floating sand Eel lure once on a rock jetty. All epoxy resin and no wood. I met the owner once when he was in business. Really nice guy. He finally retired and gave up making plugs. I heard someone bought the molds and could be reproducing them again but could be a rumor. Too bad because those floating sand eel (micah dean style) and 'go to mullets' were killers here on the north shore.