travisoneil

Fall Striper migration?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I've seen the videos from years passed for the spring striper migration from the Chesapeake and other inlets and bays north of that, but only have the slightest idea of their return.  Is it when the water temps start to reach about 60 degrees?  Do the feed as ferociously?  Do they stay schooled?  

I debated posting this in a local forum but their spring migration doesnt pin them to a specific area.  

If I missed a thread discussing this, I apologize

There's a really good book called "On the run; An Angler's Journey down the Striper Coast" in which the author, David DiBennedetto chases the stripers as they migrate south in the fall from northern New England to the Carolinas.  This has got all you want.

When the days get shorter and the leaves fall the bass will start to head south. Right now theyre in their summer feeding pattern north of LI.

If you want to chase them in the fall i suggest researching the bait patterns throughout the fall. We will see 3/4 different types of bait in the fall here in NJ

Posted (edited) · Report post

All depends on weather and water temps.  They seem to hit Nj around end of sept.   Big fish much later

Skinner has written much about fall run bass in Season on the Edge.  Read it

Edited by Captain Ahab