odiemike86

Hobie 180 Drive Broken Roller Bearings

13 posts in this topic

My 180 drive developed a squeaking noise coming from the back fin/sprocket. I took it apart and found that a few of the roller bearings are broken. About 1/4 of all the roller bearings have hollow centers of different diameters but most have no hole at all. The roller bearings that broke were the ones that had hollow centers. Im guessing they could possibly be defective? Has anyone taken their 180 drive apart and if so were some of your roller bearings hollow? I cant seem to find replacement roller bearings online.

20190819_220925.jpg

20190819_215417.jpg

20190819_215436.jpg

15662671434245038561212564690008.jpg

Are they solid for the most part, as the broken one between your fingers almost looks like it is foam filled or something . I can’t be much help other then to say stop by your dealer, for hopeful warranty service, as they look “defective”, if some are solid and some  are hollow......jack

I talked to Hobie and my local dealer and it should be covered. I'm dropping it off tonight and hoping it will be fixed in the very near future. 

The broken bearings are covered under warranty, dealer said the parts came in last night. Should have my drive back by the end of the week.  It's crazy how fast you get used to having reverse. I was using my old drive to do some night time bridge fishing and found myself reaching for reverse multiple times.

31 mins ago, TJC said:

I agree that  reverse comes in handy  ...but I bet that old drive is more reliable 

Old drive seems sturdier and more heavy duty compared to the new drive.  I have a feeling my 180 drive must have been broken for some time, when i went out Friday with my old drive peddling felt effortless and i was able to get to 4 mph with ease.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:03 AM, odiemike86 said:

Old drive seems sturdier and more heavy duty compared to the new drive.  I have a feeling my 180 drive must have been broken for some time, when i went out Friday with my old drive peddling felt effortless and i was able to get to 4 mph with ease.

Did the dealer/hobie ask for you to take apart the drive to verify the bearings were toast before warrantying them? Or did you bring in the completely assembled drive, and they were able to tell just from that? Curious because I think I might be having some bearing issues, the bearings connected to the rear fin seem to be sticking out more not, and I do notice noise occasionally. 

8 mins ago, yakscientist said:

Did the dealer/hobie ask for you to take apart the drive to verify the bearings were toast before warrantying them? Or did you bring in the completely assembled drive, and they were able to tell just from that? Curious because I think I might be having some bearing issues, the bearings connected to the rear fin seem to be sticking out more not, and I do notice noise occasionally. 

I took it apart because i saw a piece of broken bearing sticking out, i thought it was debris that needed to be cleaned so i took it apart. I brought it to my dealer disassembled.  From what you described, i think some of your bearings may be crushed.  I would take it to your dealer.

Same thing happened on my drive, but I road it till it broke and seized the drive. 

I also took the spline apart hoping I  could fix the issue but I found the same problem, broken bearings. Thinking back my bearings had the same small holes running through them as well. 

I ordered a new spline and brought the seized drive to my dealer for a warranty claim. Got both splines delivered to me within a week. 

I can pretty much pinpoint the day that started the problem for my spline assembly. I dragged the yak about 100 yards across a sand bar with the drive in and fins up. 

I’m wondering if either one of you launch or land with the drive still in, exposing it to sand/gravel/ or other fines . Or if it’s just a weak spot of the 180 drive.... 

47 mins ago, Local24 SSP said:

Same thing happened on my drive, but I road it till it broke and seized the drive. 

I also took the spline apart hoping I  could fix the issue but I found the same problem, broken bearings. Thinking back my bearings had the same small holes running through them as well. 

I ordered a new spline and brought the seized drive to my dealer for a warranty claim. Got both splines delivered to me within a week. 

I can pretty much pinpoint the day that started the problem for my spline assembly. I dragged the yak about 100 yards across a sand bar with the drive in and fins up. 

I’m wondering if either one of you launch or land with the drive still in, exposing it to sand/gravel/ or other fines . Or if it’s just a weak spot of the 180 drive.... 

I launch and land with my drive pulled out so i don't think that is the issue. I have yet to hit anything  with the drive.  I was surprised by the lack of sand and debris around the bearings when i took it apart.

Glad i didn't sell my old hobie so ill bring my v-2 as a backup