Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JButts

Get Extra Season Out Of Waders

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Slaptail that's my second highest leak area. But I spent a period looking for leaks there after I had largely sealed the entire area. Finally I started finding leaks in the boots. The rubber cracks where it flexes and you can see the backing of the rubber through the cracks. This is leak city when the cracks open up. To find the cracks you have to bend the boots and kind of roll the point where they bend around. I found cracks where there were "joints" in the boot--fake joints reall--as well as along the outside of the ankles. Also got terrible leaks on the front of the ankle at a "joint" there. These are sealing well with aquaseal faced with a fabric. But I would like to learn more about the flexseal liquid rubber posted above. Aquaseal without fabric comes off, very slowly, within a few weeks of application. 

My neoprene waders are pretty indestructible in the actual neoprene material. On the back of the boots up high, each one has a spot of “spider cracks” or whatever you would call it. It leaks when I lean forward but not when I’m standing still straight up. 

I think over time the rubber gets slightly brittle or rots and that’s a spot that bends when I fold them in transit/storage and even if they’re hanging sometimes. 

In retrospect, I probably left them too long in folded positions when I should’ve tried harder to hang them up straight. But it seems like the rubber starts to do this eventually no matter what. 

I did the Flex-seal thing, and posted about it somewhere on this site. On neoprene stocking foot waders that were worn thin in the foot area. It worked... for a while and then it started weeping. I never hit it it up again because the season was over and I promised to get a pair of breathable stocking foot when I find a good pair. I've used Aquaseal. I think it's a better product for neoprene. I fixed a 1/4" L-shaped rip or cut in the ass of a pair of 3mm. I dried, rubbed area down with acetone, and laid out a quarter sized blob over the rip on the inside, let it dry and laid down another blob on the outside. Match stick to trowel the goo around a little and done. Flex-seal wouldn't have fixed that rip.

I used the shoe goo fix but the tube was already opened from a few years earlier. The patch hasn’t really held - peeling off. 

Im planning to get a fresh tube of shoe goo or aquaseal, prep the area with acetone or something similar, and spread the glue over the cracking area. I haven’t decided if a fabric is needed. 

If if I get to the point of many leaks in both boots, I’ll probably just spray them both entirely with the flexible rubber (flexseal or the rust oleum version) as a last resort. 

EricD aquaseal peels off fairly quickly. It sort of de-adheres. //I mean it can last anywhere from weeks to months. But parts of it pull off and the water seeps under. I am experimenting with fabric more as a way to add strength to the patch and also provide some UV protection. 

I tried some urethane coated nylon for a while that worked but did lead to some new cracks wheere the patch met the old rubber. Now I'm trying ripstop nylon much thinner and not waterproof but it's totally coated with aquaseal. 

So fabric testing results haven't really come in yet.

Thee $30 tube of aquaseal is a great deal compared to the smaller $8 tubes. I found mine at a dive shop. 

I would use denatured alcohol to clean the rubber over acetone. I also sanded the rubber to improve grabbiness before cleaning with DA.

If the fabric you have is stiff it might pull up at the edges during curing. I dealt with this by putting paintere's tape over the whole application and making sure it was down flush. Sometimes you can remove the tape after cure but mostly not. I just leave it on there. I figure it adds a bit of UV protection.   

3 hours ago, JButts said:

How many people are finding leaks in their boots?

I am. Cracked boot, filled it with water found the leak and used fibber cement and a thin piece of rubber gasket material  cut to fit about 1/4 of the boot and no leaks for the rest of the year.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:12 AM, EricDice said:

If if I get to the point of many leaks in both boots, I’ll probably just spray them both entirely with the flexible rubber (flexseal or the rust oleum version) as a last resort. 

Don't use flexseal. It was a mess and the rubber wasn't very strong. I used aquaseal on the seams of my stocking boot which worked. Now, the neoprene is cracking at the heel area. It seems hopeless. I want to cut off the neoprene sock and replace it.  Still trying to think of the best way to approach this.  The rest of the waders is in very good shape.

I put a thick coated nylon almost like a cordura on the front ankle portion of my boot. Slathered the whole thing in aquaseal. On the other boot same area I put a nylon ripstop much thinner fabric. The cordura stuff is too stiff I think. Makes boot uncomfortable somehow. Ankle doesn't bend maybe...kind of presses on ankle, like if your pants are bunched up or something. Just a note. 

On 8/19/2019 at 5:55 PM, YakDawg said:

Might try this on a leaky pair.

I tried it and it lasted a few outings but is now peeling off.

People spend easily an extra 100 grand in their life swaping out cars after a few years to save headache and fustration.

Buy new waders, keep them on standby for a season.  Put them on until you repair the old waders.  Then use the old waders again.  

I had quite a few pinholes from normal wear and tear. I found good use out of the UV Wader Repair and also this stuff: Loctite PL Marine 3 fl. oz. Fast Cure Adhesive Sealant. I don't care if I have some white marks on my waders as long as I'm dry.