Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bstriping

Avon week of Aug 18

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Left Portsmouth yesterday after taking the Mrs for the day and arrived in Avon late yesterday. Tied a load on last night. Took a quick shakedown early this morning. Made 3 passes in our spot and came up with these 2. More to come later:hooked:

20180819_141122.jpg

20190819_100116_002.jpg

20190819_094923.jpg

Good start to the trip.  The first morning is rough to get out at times.  First night celebrations can get a little long at times.  Just got to remind yourself why you are there and power through it.  No rules against napping at the beach...  Just make sure you don't get burnt to a crisp first day.  Leave that until mid-week...  Looking forward to reading more.  Work is killing me.  Reading beach reports is a good reminder of why I have to put up with work b.s.

Another quick ride early afternoon to same spot produced 3 more specs and a blue. Ran in quick to get a shirt and a couple beers. Returned and tide changed, wind picked up a little and bite shut off. Haven't even thought about the beach yet:hooked:Love summer fishing the sound:rav: And starting to know the terrain so good that not even using the fishfinder. Also forgot to bring my trolling motor which hopefully my son remembers to bring down Wednesday so I can go further out to where I want to go for some bulls. Tbc......

Avon rules! Check out my report and if you want any specifics, PM me and I'll let you know where and how I fished. Good luck! 

The duck rabbit milk stout is in my top 5 beers for sure. 

The lizard fish bite was on this morning, as only managed 2 specs this morning. Shifted gears and went another mile out but not much going on out there except the tail biters were out in full force. Wish I had my gold spoon with me as I found some very drummy looking water with lots of nooks and crannies. Tonight I will troll some mullet around on a bobber as well as some rubber on a popping cork. Weather has been great with winds blowing about 10-15 out of the west and southwest. Suppose to get an increase in speed tomorrow, But who knows as this is the OBX and you never know until you wake up the next day and see what the weather is going to be :wee: TBC........:hooked:

13 hours ago, bstriping said:

The lizard fish bite was on this morning, as only managed 2 specs this morning. Shifted gears and went another mile out but not much going on out there except the tail biters were out in full force. Wish I had my gold spoon with me as I found some very drummy looking water with lots of nooks and crannies. Tonight I will troll some mullet around on a bobber as well as some rubber on a popping cork. Weather has been great with winds blowing about 10-15 out of the west and southwest. Suppose to get an increase in speed tomorrow, But who knows as this is the OBX and you never know until you wake up the next day and see what the weather is going to be :wee: TBC........:hooked:

Those lizardfish are voracious! I think Frank and Frans has those gold spoons if you want to get any, and plenty of those glass minnows for long distance casting to macs and blues. They also have a freezer out front for carcass donations to the NCDEQ (I think) carcass collection program. I think they accept sheepshead, spanish mackerel, king mackerel, and maybe flounder and specks. There's a list on the freezer, and I happily donated my sheepshead and mackerel carcasses, made cleanup a little easier and kept stinking fish out of my dumpster. I always like to help out any sort of scientific programs as well. 

On 8/20/2019 at 9:45 PM, pilotman said:

:th: Planning to be down there in a month or so. ;)

I'll be back down in that time frame as well. Probably in Ocracoke or Portsmouth. Then late Oct for the running of the bulls.:hooked:

Sorry for lack of reports, but wind has blown me out the last couple of days so had to fish out front. All the usual suspects out front during the summer, pomps, sea mullet, small croakers and blues. And lots of beer. Did try to go out late Wed afternoon but could not keep yak where I needed to keep it. Was soaked by the time I made it back in from taking waves over the bow Went for a massage at Kuru Spa yesterday and out to dinner at Pangea. Despite the wind, weather has been sunny with no rain:cool: Winds are suppose to die down a little as the day goes on today. We shall see. :hooked:

Lots of beers and beach.  The fish are just bonus. 

Kuru Village is a great feature of Avon.  Cool seeing the same guys that perform in their shows, serving beers and dinner at the Pangea (great food too).  Those guys have one heck of a business plan.  The pier is a bonus too.

20 hours ago, Porktown said:

Lots of beers and beach.  The fish are just bonus. 

Kuru Village is a great feature of Avon.  Cool seeing the same guys that perform in their shows, serving beers and dinner at the Pangea (great food too).  Those guys have one heck of a business plan.  The pier is a bonus too.

But they took the fried chicken off the menu:mad: Never tooo serious about summer fishing here. Now in the fall.... that's a whole different animal:hooked:

Final report from this past Saturday. Or should I say Spektacurday!:bigeyes:. Finally got a slight reprieve in the winds as a front went through and shifted the winds to nne and much lighter at 8-14, so back in the yaks. Cloud cover most of the day. The bite was on all day with fish up to 28in and a few blues in the mix. 28in was released as chances are it was a female. Threw soft plastics, chicken scratch on a jighead, at them and had no reason to change as bite was nonstop all day. Never even got to use the pooping-cork:D Kept 3 for the table since it was my last day and our group was down to 4. Was feeling bad that it was the last day till I realized that next weekend is Labor Day and that I am off Tuesday after. So that gives me Sun-Tue of that week, what to do:hooked:Just a little advise if you use soft plastics, go with the Zman products:th: Very durable! Soundside water temps were in the mid 80's, water clarity for the week was very good.:hooked: 

2 hours ago, triumph said:

That’s great man. What kind of structure were you looking for?  I’m going to Rodanthe area end of October 

Was fishing depths of 3-10ft with weedy bottoms. When you would exit weed bottom to clean bottom was where the hits were. Exactly where a fish should be. Look for changes in depth and visible structure. Since you are staying in Rodanthe, hit up Ryan White at Hatteras Jacks. He will be more then happy to point ya in the right direction. 1 thing I do know about that area is that there is an island about 2.5 miles from land. Best of luck to ya and catchem up:hooked: