Delzea

Cordless tool batteries-knock offs

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Anyone ever use the knock off cordless tool batteries from Amazon.

I have a Porter Cable 18v cordless set in need of batteries and it seems like Porter Cable doesn't make 18v tools or batteries any more.

i don't want to waste my money if they're just garbage.

15 mins ago, Delzea said:

Anyone ever use the knock off cordless tool batteries from Amazon.

I have a Porter Cable 18v cordless set in need of batteries and it seems like Porter Cable doesn't make 18v tools or batteries any more.

i don't want to waste my money if they're just garbage.

I don't have any personal experience but I haven't read anything good about them. Also heard of a few that "exploded". I wouldn't buy them. 

I gave up on my Milwaukee set when they pulled this siht. Started over with DeWALT. Batteries cost is ridiculous,it was easier and I wanted some more tools and wanted all the same and I didn't want two different batteries.

I guess that is called biting the bullet.

Google CPO outlets. They have both new and reconditioned batteries, as well as everything else, for shorter money than anywhere else I've seen. That's where I get mine. 

I bought an 18v from batterytrain dot.  Li-ion, came with charger, less than half the price of DeWalt replacement Nicad and several pounds lighter.  No problems.  I did read of some that don’t fit as advertised in reviews but this replacement is keeping an old 1/2 inch hammer drill alive for as much as I need it. 

I bought a couple of the 5.0 M18 knockoffs for my herd and they have been fine, about 1/2 price of name brand. No different than my 5.0 Mikwaukee battery. (I have the smaller Milwaukee batteries the tools came with I use for short jobs or tight spaces).

Herd is:

Drill and mini driver

Sawzall, circular saw, jig saw

leaf blower

all work fine with them.

Regards

Puck

2 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Batteries were the main reason I sold all my Makita and bought Ryobi.

Interesting-  I've been happy with my Ryobi but always looked at them as lower grade than Makita...which I've been too frugal to buy.  Had the typical issues with Ryobi Nicads fading but absolutely love the LiH I bought a few years ago 

Bought the older style Dewalt knockoffs, wouldn't hold a charge worth a damn ... should have got 1 OEM instead of the 2 knockoffs ...

31 mins ago, rathrbefishn said:

Interesting-  I've been happy with my Ryobi but always looked at them as lower grade than Makita...which I've been too frugal to buy.  Had the typical issues with Ryobi Nicads fading but absolutely love the LiH I bought a few years ago 

Had Makita that fell down from kitchen counter and battery just died after. Had to buy new battery, $99 at that time, just before Sandy

Had old, blue Ryobi with 5lb battery, 2 moths after the Sandy, felt down from 2 story roof; gun split in the half, battery ended up across the street; put all together and gun worked again with no problem. I still have that impact gun; works fine.

Now, at that time, Ryobi gun with charger and battery was less then Makita battery.

The very next day, all my other cordless tools was listed at craigs list.

Start using Ryobi and never looked back.

I have run into this situation quite a few times with DeWalt 18V cordless tools. There is a very well-known ecommerce site that sells knockoffs of just about every make and model battery you are looking for. They key is to thoroughly go through the customer reviews. I picked up a few sets of knockoff replacement batteries and they seem to be holding up well. 

19 mins ago, JAMD said:

Has anyone tried to send their batteries out to one of the places that rebuilds them? Did it work out ok? 

Used to take dewalt batteries to Batteries Plus store and have new cells put in them. Don’t remember what we paid for them but they lasted a long time.