kevbo1756

Whale to close for comfort

14 posts in this topic

Out fluking this past weekend in Sandy Hook Bay on my way back to the launch I had a whale (I believe it was a Humpback maybe 15-18 feet) breach maybe 15 feet away from my kayak, was day dreaming and got the crap scared out of me, I was only in about 12-14 feet of water. So crazy, once I calmed down I wanted to get a video but then just wanted to get back to land lol. I saw maybe 3-4 other ones but they were a lot further away, they were close to the surface I could see where they were by the ripples they were giving off.

Heard about the dead one wash up to shore on the ocean side of Sandy Hook so they are around just crazy it was so close to me. I saw some bunker around but nothing crazy.

Ever happen to anyone else? Been out so many times and I forgot they could be out there. I have seen them on a boat in the ocean in the fall during the striper runs but never in the bay in the summer.

Was in Florida and had a Manatee surface right next to the Yak.  I almost tipped the Yak over.  He almost tipped it over for me. 

I was in the bay in another spot and same thing. Crazy hearing them also in the water when its quiet. I was close enough to smell the thing when it opened its mouth feeding. Looked like a boat sinking. Definitely intimidating for sure. Just had that feeling at the time it was going to flip me out the kayak at any moment so I called it a day and let them have there feast. Lots of life out there. Been seeing heards of dolphins and sea turtles. Dolphins come right up to the kayak its crazy.

22 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

I was in the bay in another spot and same thing. Crazy hearing them also in the water when its quiet. I was close enough to smell the thing when it opened its mouth feeding. Looked like a boat sinking. Definitely intimidating for sure. Just had that feeling at the time it was going to flip me out the kayak at any moment so I called it a day and let them have there feast. Lots of life out there. Been seeing heards of dolphins and sea turtles. Dolphins come right up to the kayak its crazy.

That sounds like something you'll never forget.  Wish we got that kind of life in the western lis, consider yourselves lucky!

It has been getting better as for life seen on the water. The key is the bunker. If the nets stay away and leave the bait alone it brings in all kinds of life and in return we get a better fishery out of it as well. Seems if the whales are around it can better protect our waters. Atleast I hope it would. 

56 mins ago, Wizumz said:

That sounds like something you'll never forget.  Wish we got that kind of life in the western lis, consider yourselves lucky!

Late aug. into sept. WLIS may get some dolphins, whales and false albacore. I have seen albies and dolphins quite a few times, but no Humpbacks. I can do without the GWS that was pinged in the WLIS a couple months ago.

E34B9D4B-C3AC-45F4-9693-518C5389EFFE.jpeg

10 mins ago, cheech said:

Late aug. into sept. WLIS may get some dolphins, whales and false albacore. I have seen albies and dolphins quite a few times, but no Humpbacks. I can do without the GWS that was pinged in the WLIS a couple months ago.

E34B9D4B-C3AC-45F4-9693-518C5389EFFE.jpeg

They do from time to time, for sure.  We've had humpback reports in WLIS and even filmed swimming up the Hudson last year.  It's certainly rare though.  

Yes happened to me in the spring in rb, 30/40' away....very cool and humbling experience and yes a little scary. I kinda get nervous when i'm surrounded by thick bunker. Way more around last 3/4 years then i ever remember.

Wow great pictures. Thanks for sharing. One of the most beautiful beaches around with some really deep water.

11 hours ago, BluesCruiser said:

You can see the beach in all those shots. about 20 feet deep not quite to the drop.

The whale I saw was in 12 -14ft