Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Aug 19 - Aug 26

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity that could benefit those you use the RI forum.

The purpose is to blend together all reports in a portal so they are easy to access into one file for ease of viewing. 

This is the second year trying this approach of a journal . I think last year had great participation. 

Now it's up to you to post your success or skunks.   Either way let us know. It all helps us to be informed.  

There is some bait starting to stage in pockets along the ocean front. Some mackerel keeping boaters happy. More signs of bluefish mixed with mac plus much more bonito.  

Keep those reports coming, good or bad. We'd like to hear. 

Lots of bonito around but they are picky. Bass has been on and off with so many blues around. Umbrella rigs with small swimbaits or eels have been the go to in SoCo for better chances of bigger bass

I would be surfcasting my normal spots all night if I could (need to pay the bills). Last weekend was OK but there has been some very interesting bait activity lately that I suspect will lead to much better inshore reports. Photos from last weekend’s OK fishing, lots of schoolies and one barely 28” fish (all safely released).

191AAB21-31BD-439C-8E3F-D74054F7340F.jpeg

522DCE8F-440E-4642-BAE5-6DEED26A341A.jpeg

802B9616-61FB-4343-A4F7-C041C619F15D.jpeg

3 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

^amazing how many bones are around. Absolutely infested with them...

The bonito I've been seeing have been on the small side (some as small as 12-14 inches, but mostly 2-3 lbs), which initially led me to believe that perhaps these were the same tiny ones that infested the much of the coast last year (the ones that were anywhere from 8" to a foot long)...just a year later...however, after speaking to several people whom I trust to know this stuff, there seems to be a consensus that bonito grow very rapidly and those small ones from last year are significantly larger this year. I've only caught a small handful so far this year, and none have eclipsed the 3 lb mark

6 hours ago, Dirty Walter said:

Those were bonito. 

We know the difference between Bonito and FA. 

Been out the last few AMs and have seen many schools of something too far out. Birds on these schools.

Will be splashing the boat today or tomorrow, weather dependent, pretty foggy right now. Hoping to get into whatever has been teasing me for a week now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rolled up to spot last pm and guys walking off gave me the "should have been here over an hour ago".  Not the best tide for the spot, and no wind.  Started getting hits and a steady pick to start, once it was complete darkness (before moon) all hell broke lose.  Fish on every cast, and if you dropped the fish another would grab plug.  Took off teaser and switched to larger plugs, and still had steady fish but not as many as w teaser and smaller offerings.  Most fish were 22-27", all fat and big shouldered for schoolies. Dropped a large fish, first one i have seen in a long time which made it more painful, had all the way to shore and couldnt get it up on rocks.  Fish picked its moment and bolted with a wave as i was trying to time his landing and popped hook.  Gotta love when peanuts roll in.

Edited by Kooky

27 mins ago, Kooky said:

Rolled up to spot last pm and guys walking off gave me the "should have been here over an hour ago".  

Don't you just love that. Even worst when surf buds call and are partying on good fish knowing damn well you can't make it. 

Glad you had some time to get out there.:th: