Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IwantToCatchaFatFish

what is it about lures that make stripers break off?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Sharpen your hooks! 

The stock sp minnow hooks and split rings are also weak.. upgrade them to Vmc. And you need a stronger split ring. 

Other than that i don’t seem to have any trouble keeping fish buttoned on plugs 

7 hours ago, IwantToCatchaFatFish said:

Whenever i catch(hook) a striper with an SP minnow lure they always find a way to break free! its so dissapointing ! why is this? any lure fishing recomendations??

Could be multiple reasons . . . hooks, rod type, drag setting, hook setting, staying tight, rod tip down when retrieving, etc.  You're always going to drop fish, but I'm guessing you should be better than 80% in staying connected to a fish and landing.

I think that all plugs with two sets of trebles have a higher percentage of misses.  The trebles always seem to stick the fish on the side of the mouth.   I find myself using bucktails more and more.  The exception being back bay top water fishing.

sharp hooks helps but we've notice that when braided line first came out we've lost a lot more fish ,  with braid has no stretch we loosen our drag and landed more fish and less straightened hooks.

Number one reason in my opinion, Fixed Hook Hangers. The amount of torque a fish can put on a hook is tremendous when it is on a fixed hanger. That's why you typically don't have as much of a problem on a single hook like a bucktail or throwing a chunk or something. Obviously other factors can come into play, but when you have a fish hooked and they come unbuttoned.... fixed hook hangers

Many stripers have been hooked multiple times, and/or released poorly. If the pressure isn’t constant the hook slips free. :hooked:

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, sinfish said:

I think that all plugs with two sets of trebles have a higher percentage of misses.  The trebles always seem to stick the fish on the side of the mouth.   

^^^^ This is a big reason. This can create a 'leverage' situation where one treble provides the leverage for the fish to 'throw' the other. Replace the rear treble with a single dressed hook and increase the size of the front treble by 1 or 2 sizes. 

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

Leverage, especially with big fully sealed plugs.

That's why I prefer plugs where the hooks are on swivels, less leverage.

I don't use the SP minnows much. With minnow lures in general, I keep the rod at about 45 degrees and reel in fast to keep tension on the line. You also need to keep the drag lower than the weakest component on your setup. My drag is set at about 5lbs but surf stripers here are much smaller than the EC on average. Your hooks shouldn't bend if the drag is lower but I have never caught a 30" striper here.

Curious why I am the only one besides 1 other talking about drag and using the rod over stronger hooks so maybe I am giving bad advice. 

On 8/19/2019 at 1:18 PM, Draekon said:

I don't use the SP minnows much. With minnow lures in general, I keep the rod at about 45 degrees and reel in fast to keep tension on the line. You also need to keep the drag lower than the weakest component on your setup. My drag is set at about 5lbs but surf stripers here are much smaller than the EC on average. Your hooks shouldn't bend if the drag is lower but I have never caught a 30" striper here.

Curious why I am the only one besides 1 other talking about drag and using the rod over stronger hooks so maybe I am giving bad advice. 

Definitely a valid point talking about drag and utilizing the properties of the rod, but this is still insignificant when there are 2 sets of trebles and fixed hook hangers. You would still have 2 separate identities here, the rod/line and the plug/hook and their own sets of properties. No matter how much you baby a fish with light drag, it can still put a tremendous amount of stress on a treble hook attached to a fixed hanger. Especially as stated above by @sinfish and @guiltyascharged, when you have both trebles in and it is outside the mouth.... not gonna land as many fish that way.

Small fish are pulled through the water rather than getting hooked better with a strong strike.

Peace

On 8/19/2019 at 1:11 AM, IwantToCatchaFatFish said:

Whenever i catch a striper with an SP minnow lure they always find a way to break free! its so dissapointing ! why is this? any lure fishing recomendations??

What breaks line,hook,knot other?

I have been dropping way more then usual this season also. I think sometimes you just get on a roll (good or bad) and you have to just way for the law of averages to kick in. but sometimes it’s us or the gear.. i had a smaller fish (5-7lb)on a SP early in the year and I saw the belly hook in the corner of the mouth. When I started dragging it up the beach to land it I saw the tail treble hook grab the gill plate and dislodge the hook in the mouth. It went back out with the wave and came off seconds after. Single back hooks could help like everyone is saying 

Some folks dont even put a rear hook on it and use the front hook only.

Not only for that, but that fluke time the hook catches your line during a cast.   In freshwater, I do that to my rapala ratltraps.  I like them for creek smallmouths.  In that environment I have to grab the spinning reel spool from time to time when casting a bit too hard under trees where the fish hang out in the summer.  That usually makes the lure hooks catch the line with the rear hook for me.