Bmawds

Trout/salmon from a kayak

8 posts in this topic

After a recent charter out on Lake Ontario I’ve been thinking about trying a similar style of fishing here in CT out of my kayak. Figure I could troll two rods at once without too much difficulty. Thinking about sending a diver out on one and using a small downrigger for the other. Curious if anyone here has done that and if so what you’ve found works as far as a set up for the yak.

Thanks,

Brian

a guide i went with in NH this summer used lead core line to get his flies to the correct depth while trolling.  i think that would be perfect for a kayak as not to deal with planers or downriggers, etc.  i'm gonna try it next summer when im back in NH

I'm going to try trolling for brown trout on eastern Lake Ontario with the yak come late March and April. I have to invest in a dry suit first as this isn't long after ice-out. I plan on two planers and a long line straight back. Spoons on the planers and a near surface lure on the other. Depth isn't too much of a concern as the fish will be within a couple hundred yards of the beach. Weather will be a major concern as it changes fast and often up here. Trolling for browns is slow enough that I'll easily keep a good speed with the hands free Hobie. I haven't seen anyone try it yet but at the same time I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I just love fishing for those lake run browns in the tributaries and they can get upwards of 15 lbs. I'll post results in April, Tight lines

Hey: Have you fellas ever tried trolling a streamer behind

your kayak?

Trolled streamers on small lakes in VT. with much success. Used a

10 foot sinking tip.

Also trolled them on Winnie in NH for Landlocks.

I would say you want to away from trolling 2 rods. Alot of bad things can happen. You can cross lines. Lines can get tangled around your hobie drive and rudder. You have 2 fish on and then problem increase. I would say if trolling multi lines have a fishing partner and hand off a rod to him/her and take turns with someone trolling 2.

I alway wanted to do the lake ontario thing myself but wave sets are very different and could catch you off guard. It's not just a big lake it's a monster. You'll have talk to some people and really pin point a small area for you to cover. The area i see the most boats and tv shows is off the mexico power plant somewhere. Always see it in the backroud in vids.

It would be helpful to get a kayak guide. I've been searching for years still haven't found one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Instead of a downrigger I'd looked at heavier lead weights, much less infrastucure taking up bóat space. Us west coast guys went that way decades ago, unless you really have to go DEEP. We've used up to 20 oz.

Edited by spoonplugger1

I believe you're right Jeff, three lines out would be too much, But I'll still go with two on planers. As far as where, I already have an area where I can launch and fish almost immediately. Yes, Lake Ontario is a monster and I give the respect it deserves. As I said, dry suit and staying within 200 to 300 yds of the beach always on the lookout for weather and waves. I'm only going to try this in as calm conditions as I can find and the bite is early morning when the odds of calm are better. As far as the power plant goes, I won't be in that area, at least not for a start. Before 9/11 boats could pull up very close to the power plant and fish the warm water discharge that attracted so much bait thus the browns. You can't get that close anymore, so I don't know if it's still a hot spot. As far as weights or down riggers they are not necessary as the depths are only about 8 to 20' and the water is very clear. Once the water warms and the fish move out it's over and when I can't fish the lake I'll just have to settle for the tribs, awe shucks. Tight lines all