HillTop

PUERTO COSTA MAYA, MEXICO - Opinions Please

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Planning a cruise with the wife in November and she suggested that for one of the ports maybe I'd like to go fly fishing.   I suspect seeing most of the other ports will be booked for excursions for things she prefers this is somewhat of an olive branch :)   To be honest any excursion on a trip like this that gets me away from work is fine by me.    Anyway anyone familiar with fishing at this destination at this time of year ?    Might it be worth the money ?   If not I have no issues with doing something different but this sounds like it might be a good chance to get that type of FF exposure since I've never FF'd in tropical environment before.  Any thoughts most appreciated.

HT

5d59db05963d7_cruiseff1.jpg.11d7a7266d2ad58db53aad809790a1a3.jpg5d59db114071f_cruiseff2.jpg.822101fce02e05c60ec330ed3ac8dbe3.jpg

13 hours ago, Kml said:

Based on the rod and reel in an advertisement for tarpon I might take pause. But hey what could go wrong. 

This^^  And the copy sounds like it was written by someone who has a degree in marketing and never fished a day in their life.  Sounds sketchy to me. . .  Maybe DIY?

I see from a search that there are several cruise lines that seem to use this service. If you're booking it through the cruise line, I'd do it. If you get blown off you can go back at the cruise operator for a refund. From various pics it does look like there are at least fish in the area, maybe you won't get a tarpon or bonefish but you might get a big jack crevalle and that alone would be memorable. I did do one of these things long ago in Cancun and it turned out to be a bust but it was before saltwater fly fishing was really a thing and I knew the guide knew squat about it. I would imagine these days a guide can put you in the right place, and if you've fished a good bit you should be able to connect with something. Otherwise it's another day walking through t-shirt shops....

Just my 2 cents but I have booked  2 fishing excursions through a cruise ship. Both times the trips were more suited to people that are looking for something to do rather than do the type of fishing "we" on this site do. I would try to find a guide on my own and book it separately. That is what I always do now whenever on a family vacation.

Chuck I have fished in a few of off the main land countries . Just something to think about . Weather . What I do = start a search before the cruise about three days before your port date you can decide on booking a trip due to weather conditions .

Years before i was in the Bahamas booked a charter sent in a deposit to secure the date . Well weather got bad and the Captain wanted to continue the charter in 30 mph wind and unbelievable chop . To save my self $ 400  I forfeit the deposit of $ 100 . Like any charter guide you just never know the weather.  I like the idea of booking thru the cruise line like SM suggests Most likely your port o call might be a good distance travel being in a foreign country travel is sometimes iffy. If it’s a bummer ship credit for some nice perfume for the Mrs . :rav:

Thanks all for your input.    Some good points that I'd need to consider.   The wife called the cruise line and we'd have up to 24 hours before the excursion to cancel and get our money back so at this point I don't have to rush into a decision and have a little more time to do research and if need be watch the weather reports as the date approaches.

Thanks,

HT