TheClasp

Buck Tail for Stripers From Shore

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I have had success w/Buck Tail (w/teasers high low) for Fluke, but I understand Stripers also will hit Buck Tail.   Any tips or techniques for a guy who has no boat and will be casting from shore the Inner Boston Harbor and River Mouths.   I also venture to Winthrop and Quincy for Surf Casting if it could work there, no success yet.    I do place the Gulp mullet and/or pork grind to the end of the Buck tail for fluke.  Unclear if that is helpful for stripers.   Should I let sink to bottom and jig, or is a different technique for Stripers?

Thanks Much.

Probably the single most versatile lure to use to target stripers from shore. The range of weights, head shapes, hair styles, colors, etc,  means there's a bucktail for basically every situation 

Read the Skinner book as said above. Most people go too heavy. 

Otter tail or gulp are definitely helpful. 

You want to fish it on the bottom, lifting it every couple feet.  Sandy areas let it hit pop it up and let it hit again.  The puff of sand attracts attention.

At River mouths or inlets go heavier depending on current. Cast up current, wait until you feel it hit bottom, then bounce it along. Little pumps of the rod tip.

From the beach, I find most of my production in letting the jig hit the bottom, and then a steady retrieve to stay just above bottom, with an occasional pump and an occasional bottom bounce. Use as light of a bucktail as your gear and conditions will allow. You want to be able to keep the jig off the bottom while retrieving to prevent snags.

I've caught fish on black at night, but I almost exclusively just use white with various trailer styles and colors. Mostly jig strips in white for day and red for night, but no hard and fast rule.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use a 3/4 or 1 oz bucktail depending on condition. I put a otter tail straight split on the hook. Let the bucktail drop to the bottom and jig, 2 jerks and a lite 3rd jerk if its really slow. I do a slow retrieve and work the bottom, changing up the jerks 2 to 1 and 1 to 2 could also increase your chances. Goodluck

IMG_9600.jpg

Edited by iputmyhoursin

I have done well using a white Senko on the back of a buck tail leaving a good 4” or 5” hanging off the back of the hook swimming it with a steady up down retrieve

a senko? didn't think that would work....does anyone add bait strips like clam or squid...I have seen stuff called squidy bits by senko skipper on youtube....but haven't seen anyone else out in the field use it to success...

Yep, the Senkos really work well for trailers.  I started by using them here for muskies behind my spinner baits and realized how effective they are.  I’ve caught stripers with them on days when I couldn’t get hits on anything else

5 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

Yep, the Senkos really work well for trailers.  I started by using them here for muskies behind my spinner baits and realized how effective they are.  I’ve caught stripers with them on days when I couldn’t get hits on anything else

Rigged wacky? Or just dinger straight?

My tackle bag is downstairs but I believe they are 8”.  I bite off a couple inches and thread the large piece right up the hook to the jig head leaving 4-5” hanging off to give good action as you swim the jig. White or chartreuse jig and white trailer is my go- to during daylight

You can strip a mackerel for a trailer that will also work[just put it in cosha salt to harden it up a tad and keep in fridge prior to using

On 8/18/2019 at 9:42 PM, pogie_boy said:

My first striper was on an uppermans bucktail in the Taunton river.  

Nice..thought I was the only one on here fishing the ole Taunton riv...dighton rock my spot if you ever feel like casting pop me a message