NorthernFisherman

Rod /Reel Upgrade

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am looking to upgrade my current outfit .  Currently I use an 10 foot Airwave paired with a Boca 60 . How much will I notice the difference between getting a 11 foot Airwave , tica dollphin or other sub $200 rods compared to jumping to a $300 dollar stick like the tiralejo.  This comba will be used to gain casting distance while plugging , light jigging and swimmer throwing .My first choice is the Shimano tiralejo 110HA 2-6  or 110MHA 3-6  looking for opinions.  The reel choice is the Ultegra xtd 14000.  Looking for opinions on the two rod choices and the reel match .  Anything else I should be looking in in the price range ?  Thanks for the help and opinions.

You have a good reel for a 2-6 or 3-8 oz 11’ stick. How about adding a lighter reel for your 10’ and a more stout rod for your boca 60?  It would give you some versatility.  What’s the rating on your 10’ airwave?  Nothing wrong with a Tica. I don’t know much about Shimano rods. 

1 hour ago, NorthernFisherman said:

I am looking to upgrade my current outfit .  Currently I use an 10 foot Airwave paired with a Boca 60 . How much will I notice the difference between getting a 11 foot Airwave , tica dollphin or other sub $200 rods compared to jumping to a $300 dollar stick like the tiralejo.  This comba will be used to gain casting distance while plugging , light jigging and swimmer throwing .My first choice is the Shimano tiralejo 110HA 2-6  or 110MHA 3-6  looking for opinions.  The reel choice is the Ultegra xtd 14000.  Looking for opinions on the two rod choices and the reel match .  Anything else I should be looking in in the price range ?  Thanks for the help and opinions.

You want to plug with the 14000?  It’s too big for plugging.  I had one and sold it.  I also have the Ultegra 5500 CI4 mini big pit.  Great reel and casts to tomorrow! The 14000 is a monster...

8 mins ago, NorthernFisherman said:

The 14000 is the reel that the shop recommended .  It looked kind of big .  I may have started this topic in the wrong forum , maybe should have started it in the Mass forum 

Hmmmm-Canal changes things. I know nothing of that place. Perhaps some ditch goers can weigh in.  

I love my tfo gis1065-2. It's 10'6" rated 2-6 oz  and super lightweight. It can throw 5 oz comfortably, and at the same time can toss an sp 15f great too though. New they're $260, but can regularly be found lightly used for closer to $200. I have a bg5000 on mine and it's a great combo.

I own 3 Tiralejo rods and find them comparable to 4-$500.00 rods.  The 11 ft. 2-6 is an amazing rod that throws plugs, tins, or occasional light bait some serious long distance. I pair mine with a CI4 5500 XTC. Super light, high performance long distance casting machine. Go with the 5500 size Ultegra and you will be happy. Yes, a big improvement over your Airwave/Boca setup.

2 hours ago, Tagman said:

I own 3 Tiralejo rods and find them comparable to 4-$500.00 rods.  The 11 ft. 2-6 is an amazing rod that throws plugs, tins, or occasional light bait some serious long distance. I pair mine with a CI4 5500 XTC. Super light, high performance long distance casting machine. Go with the 5500 size Ultegra and you will be happy. Yes, a big improvement over your Airwave/Boca setup.

5500 is good enough for the canal? or is 14000 better?