AbbyDaddy

20lb vs 30lb test

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

all, 

I have 10lb 15lb test setups, if I were to bring a third, would it be a 30lb or a 20lb setup for fluke?

Only thing holding me back is I would use the third for togging so 30lb braid would be better, but I wasn't sure if it would make sense to even bring the setup if it had 30lb braid. 30lb seems too heavy for fluke but 20lb seems too light for tog?

Any insight or am I over thinking this?

You're overthinking this a bit.

I assume you're asking about braid, but while you can fish with either one for tog, I'd prefer the thirty.  I would set up the rod and reel the same way.  Double the running line with a spider hitch (it's quite enough for this use, but by all means do a fancier knot if you like)  and tie that to at least ten feet of mono.  Why double the line? More line surface in contact with leader material, the better. Why thirty? Better abrasion resistance when the running line comes in contact with other anglers' running line.  What knot to join the doubled running line to the leader? Whichever applicable knot you tie the best.

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

We're edging into September, the fluke will be heading into deeper waters.  

You saw Fluke?  LoL in my neck of the woods Fluke are scarce unless you head to Montauk.  

Where are your 6 and 8 pound fluke setups? I've always found it better to go lighter for fluking, and keep a spare spool with heavier braid in case I use the fluke rod for trolling or togging.

That bigger braid just makes deep water jigging impossible adding all that drag and boyancy 

I prefer #30 when togging for reasons outlined above in Brian's response..

#20 is more than sufficient in strength, it's just abrasion i worry about around all those rock piles.. this can be easily mitigated  by adding an extra long #50 mono top shot..

#30 seems overkill for fluke... for fluke I'm usually dropping much lighter weight than when togging.. heavier line and lighter weights can lead to some line scope and I prefer to stay as vertical as possible..

You could consider 30 maxcuatro... strength of #30 and diameter of #20 excellent abrasion resistance.. maybe best of both options.. just a thought.