Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jesgord

705Z broken bail assembly screw in Rotor

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Purchased a 705Z yesterday at a tag sale. Was breaking it down to clean up and lube and one of the bail assembly screws snapped of at the head in the rotor.  Never had this happen before. Can I drill out...or is there another way to get it out without damaging the threads?  Maybe its a lost cause at this point and I’m better off just finding a new rotor?

9B336CC6-E0F5-47FF-BF6A-7C19822DB696.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's easy if you have a set of taps. Drill out and tap. :howdy:

Or you could try a penetrating catalyst like PB blaster. Hit it with that a few times and ya might be able to back it out.

Edited by jimmy z

Remove the rotor cup from the reel body. Try a vinegar soak to get rid of the blue corrosion, then try Kroil, PB Blaster, or any penetrating oil leaving it soak for a day or so. Than center punch what is left of the broken screw, using a left handed drill bit with your drill in reverse drill it out.

I would retap the threads if the threads show damage but I do not know what the thread size is. You could measure a new bail screw to find out. Then  obtain the proper size tap and retap the threads.

Edited by george6308

Thanks for the advice guys.  Will start with a soak and some PB Blaster and take it from there.  Appreciate the tips!

Try this, after spraying with brake cleaner, take a drill bit, maybe a 1/32 carbide, and drill down about 1/4 inch, then tap it to to 1/16 with reverse threads. Pour in some lock tight and screw in a #10 machine screw. Then twist it out.

Another way is to cut a slot using a Dremel in the remaining part of the broken screw. Heat the screw with a torch and remove screw with a proper fitting screw driver.  The Aluminium expands when heated breaking the bond between the broken screw and the rotor cup. 

Edited by george6308