rich56

Open Beach, does low tide work?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Time is permitting me to fish the ocean beach next few afternoons untill sundown.  It will be outgoing  to  low tide. Is this a decent condition to fish or are we wasting our time?

Answer depends on the structure of the beach and you casting ability in terms of distance. The further you can cast, the less at the mercy of the tide you will be. 

I've actually been doing better at one spot at closer to low tide out front. As of recently I've seen bait being pushed closer at low tide more than high tide. My guess is that it is easier for game fish to corral bait when there's less water. I've been going out whenever I can recently and not paying much attention to the tides since I've had less time to pick when I want to go. Having said that, I still did pretty well last night and it was closer to high.

Find yourself a sandbar you can wade out to. On of my favorite things to do in summertime. A calm surf is a must and be careful. The ends of a sandbar ( next to a rip) can get soft.  

8 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

Someone once told me (reference of low water) at least you know where the fish aren't at.

In the years before Superstorm Sandy, we had cuts in the bar, troughs along the beach, and pockets next to the jettys and breakwaters.  Somewhere around the mid point of the dropping tide, the peanut bunker would be in the pockets, and the bass and bluefish would strike in a circular pattern, entering the path via the bar cut, following the trough perpendicular to the beach to the parallel trough, slamming the bunker in the pocket, and exiting along the jetty/breakwater, to return again thru the bar cut. this was a fly fisherman's dream.  Once the tide got close to low, the bass and blues hung outside the bar until enough water depth was achieved by the flood tide.  Once the flood tide built up close to peak, the peanut bunker escaped the pocket.

Then we would get something to eat, maybe nap in the truck, and come back for the next dropping tide/rising tide cycle.  My bet is I will never see such fishing again in my lifetime...

I would fish even on low tides where the beach formation is enough depth. You got to look and understand the various formation of beach to fish in various conditions.

I think some spots where the beach is open are better with less water.  Let's you wade and get past the break. If there's no bait to chase in they are just swimming past in deeper water anyway

I find it to be a waste of time. Esp if you fish a beach that has had a lot of beach replenishment crap.  There are always exceptions but you can’t go wrong with the 4 hour window before and after high tide.