joe0306

Chunk bait question

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

How necessary is it to use weights when chunking mackerel? I talked to a lot of the guys at the local shops and many say that using weight isnt necessary. I want to make sure my bait isnt hitting the bottom tho, does anyone have any advice?

I fish north shore MA off rocks, docks and jetties 

thanks

8 hours ago, joe0306 said:

How necessary is it to use weights when chunking mackerel? I talked to a lot of the guys at the local shops and many say that using weight isnt necessary. I want to make sure my bait isnt hitting the bottom tho, does anyone have any advice?

I fish north shore MA off rocks, docks and jetties 

thanks

Are you chunking a whole mack or cutting it  When it comes to not hitting the bottom you can make up a three way swivel rig where the hook has a float attached to the line on the hook   Place a weight on the other arm . Or you could make up a fish finder rig where the line attached to the hook has a float tied to it and you use the fish finder with  weight on it . Keep in mind that they make cork floats that have a hole drilled through them you can pull the line through it that has the hook attached to a swivel and is used as a stop on the fish finder that is attached to the line on the reel .   Now if you fishing the rocks and are afraid to get hooked on the bottom , make sure on the three way rig that the line that hold the weight is much less then the standing and hook line you are using. Now if you plan on using a whole mackerel, you can insert a small weight in the mouth and simply place the hook between the upper and lower jaw to hold it in place. To use a weight is a matter of what you will find depending where and how you will fish. We always used weights along the rock piles from Nahant to Newburyport , piers and some jetties . You will only find what will work if you go and try how you want to fish and you get to decide what will work best for you Good Luck

Also, in order to minimize hang ups in and around rockpiles and debris,  I would use the bank sinker style of fishing weight as opposed to the pyramid style fishing weight.

3 hours ago, Joe G said:

Also, in order to minimize hang ups in and around rockpiles and debris,  I would use the bank sinker style of fishing weight as opposed to the pyramid style fishing weight.

Points well taken my friend , except if he should decide to go on the sand some where .:theman:

37 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Points well taken my friend , except if he should decide to go on the sand some where .:theman:

That is why I said..... minimize hang ups in and around rockpiles.......    

14 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Are you chunking a whole mack or cutting it  When it comes to not hitting the bottom you can make up a three way swivel rig where the hook has a float attached to the line on the hook   Place a weight on the other arm . Or you could make up a fish finder rig where the line attached to the hook has a float tied to it and you use the fish finder with  weight on it . Keep in mind that they make cork floats that have a hole drilled through them you can pull the line through it that has the hook attached to a swivel and is used as a stop on the fish finder that is attached to the line on the reel .   Now if you fishing the rocks and are afraid to get hooked on the bottom , make sure on the three way rig that the line that hold the weight is much less then the standing and hook line you are using. Now if you plan on using a whole mackerel, you can insert a small weight in the mouth and simply place the hook between the upper and lower jaw to hold it in place. To use a weight is a matter of what you will find depending where and how you will fish. We always used weights along the rock piles from Nahant to Newburyport , piers and some jetties . You will only find what will work if you go and try how you want to fish and you get to decide what will work best for you Good Luck

I'm cutting it. Thing is I'm not sure if I'm hitting the bottom or not, I try to reel in a little to make sure I'm not and rarely get stuck so I guess that means I'm not quite at bottom

17 hours ago, joe0306 said:

I'm cutting it. Thing is I'm not sure if I'm hitting the bottom or not, I try to reel in a little to make sure I'm not and rarely get stuck so I guess that means I'm not quite at bottom

You will fgind by cutting the bait at an bias you will do better [at an angle] Alos the wider hooks like the siawsh also is better

Joe0306,

Maybe you should consider using a circle hook. They dramatically cut down on gut hooked fish, not to mention they'll be mandatory in 2020 anyway.

Since using circle hooks for chunk fishing since soon after they first appeared I have never had a gut hooked fish. Pulling in a gut hooked schoolie always bothered me. I would cut off the line just above the hook and leave it in but always felt bad about it.

I chunked for years up on the northshore using mainly chunked herring (used to be able to get fresh sea herring, I don't believe any of the shops sell it fresh anymore).  I almost never weighted it.  The only time I would weight is if there was heavy surf or current.  Would tie on a snelled 5-0 or 6-0 hook with 12" section of leader and toss it out there.  Slowly bounce it along and back, re-cast.  I used to leave the bail open with my finger on the line.  Feel the pickup, let it run a bit and then close the bail and set.  Once I got a bait runner style reel, I used that instead of the finger trick.  One of the keys was to not cut too large a chunk and always be sure to hook under the backbone ... this to cut down on pulling the hook out of the bait and losing it on the cast.   This will happen from time to time anyway.  If using a head piece I would go through the gillplate or eye.  Don't completely defrost the bait if using frozen ... it will quickly get mushy once defrosted.  I would keep frozen and defrost just a bit in seawater to the point where I could cut it/chunk it once I got to my spot.  Good luck!

one quick tip if you are going to use a 3 way rig with bait. make sure the line to your sinker is the weakest line on your rig. For example if you're using 50lb braid and 50lb fluro for leader material, than i would use 20lb mono cheapest one you can get at walmart or bait shop of your choice to make the drop loop off the 3 way that will attach to the sinker. Because make no doubt about it you will get hung up on stuff and by doing it this way 9 out of 10 times, when your sinker gets hung up and you have you to break off you only will lose your sinker instead of the whole rig. Then you just need to tie another droper loop with that cheap mono and attach a sinker again, instead of risking losing your whole rig. 

You have a chunk line going and you're scoping bait

off the back of your boat. add a shot or an egg sinker.

3 rods 3 different weights. Wire, braid, lead core, mono.

Trial and error. No weight and the gulls are diving at it.

To much and your wrapping around the bottom.

SCOPING BAIT! ;)

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, speedwell said:

Since using circle hooks for chunk fishing since soon after they first appeared I have never had a gut hooked fish. Pulling in a gut hooked schoolie always bothered me. I would cut off the line just above the hook and leave it in but always felt bad about it.

One thing that larger sized like 7/0 to 9/0 rather then smaller J hooks  on bass with bait resulted in less destructive hook ups . Having used every bait imaginative available over many many years I seldom ever  got a fish gut hooked . Some hooked were snelled , some were tied with a pal mar and some with the improved clinch knot . By experimenting on how they were tied with certain bait  and being in touch with line in the water I was able to match the circle hook gut hooked numbers. By increasing the size of the hook ,[after all we are fishing for big momma] not smallies. Smaller fish are less likely to swallow a large 7/9 to 9/0 hook and get caught in the mouth then what many used like the 3/0 to 5/0 size. Small hooks always meant small fish large hooks meant large fish. With the larger sized hooks I also got less small fish hook up as well

When were using sea worms for example we would use 6 to 8 worms bent on the hook Sand eels was similar 2 to 3 depending on the size of the sand eel     Cut bait like mackerel we use the siwash from 6/0 to 8/0 one reason was that we could have the whole point out side of the bait and as soon as it was picked up the hook hooked itself in the mouth and if you wanted to release the fish it was a fast release.. WE also would invert the chunk and place the hook on the belly part rather then the thick part at the top. .  This process worked real good when you were after Blue fish and one can still use this as the circle hook has only been applied to striped bass fishing . I hope they plan of reimbursing for all my J hooks because I will be fishing more for blue fish until I have no more left tied up.

Edited by Angler #1

Hey,A1,remember the nite we met up in front of your dentist office in Randolph ?

When I gave you the T.Williams fish caller ? Well,that nite I told you that I had a

pretty old pic of 6 of the original Lepers,Some where among all my boxes of 

crap.3 days ago I found that pic,it's a must see.Brad,Myself,Rich Moore,Jimmy

Lydon,Huff,and Billy,(Mr.Canal),Doyon are all in it.The problem is I still don't no

how to send pics over the internet.But anyway I'd like to make some copies and

enlargements first.When I do,you'll get one...……………………...Troutworm,