dannyplug1

Pickerel: best natural bait best lure

34 posts in this topic

What is the best natural bait for pickerel?  And what is the best artificial? And if you were hunting the biggest pickerel on the pond what would you fish?  Thanks Charlie 

Live sun perch,,,,broken back rebel minnows or number 2 blue fox chrome white pork rind or mister twister tail,,,,,good luck on getting the big one,,,,,,,:)

1) Big slow moving, shallow running, single spin Spinnerbait!  In Lime and Yellow!

2) F7 flatfish in orange with black spots.

3) 3-4" Kietech Fat Impact on a Ball head.  Predominant forage color

I'm spoiled. Didn't start fishing for pickerel till January 1st this year in a lake across the street from my girlfriends house. Over twenty years go it was a sad lake full of stunted largemouths. So a buddy and me fished this one river and took yellow perch, crappie and pickerel and transferred them to the lake where they took off and now it's a much more balanced lake with all four species doing well. So when I fish it during the winter with live minnows I catch all four and don't have to keep clearing a lure of some of the slimy growth that coats the lily pad stems and the bottom. Plus at my age I don't feel like casting a bunch of holes into the winter winds.IMG_1541.JPG.c48873ab5b868049fa04036c0c7a04bc.JPG

DSCF5657.JPG.ff3016810ee642d665ab395163b60436.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG.6a4d3a8e03174acd176fdca8e5a68287.JPG 

I think everyone has heard about pickerel and daredevils, but because you could stand a chance of losing the lure to a big fish the lure isn't as popular now (I still carry one in my arsenal just in case).

My personal favorite lures for pickerel are (in no particular order) Rubber frogs and worms when weeds are present, as the fish like to wait for an unsuspecting fish to swim by.

Jerk baits, sometimes "the bigger, the better" does matter.

Live bait, minnows when sunfish are not available (for free).

I've gotten quite a few over the years while using small crappie lures, so size isn't always a deciding factor, except that you will weed out much smaller fish by using larger lures/baits.

My best bait for pickerel is whatever I happen to be using for bass that day...only a faster presentation ;)

As soon as I catch a couple of picks I slow down my presentation a bit.

On 8/19/2019 at 6:22 AM, DoorGunner said:

I'm spoiled. Didn't start fishing for pickerel till January 1st this year in a lake across the street from my girlfriends house. Over twenty years go it was a sad lake full of stunted largemouths. So a buddy and me fished this one river and took yellow perch, crappie and pickerel and transferred them to the lake where they took off and now it's a much more balanced lake with all four species doing well. So when I fish it during the winter with live minnows I catch all four and don't have to keep clearing a lure of some of the slimy growth that coats the lily pad stems and the bottom. Plus at my age I don't feel like casting a bunch of holes into the winter winds.IMG_1541.JPG.c48873ab5b868049fa04036c0c7a04bc.JPG

DSCF5657.JPG.ff3016810ee642d665ab395163b60436.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG.6a4d3a8e03174acd176fdca8e5a68287.JPG 

That looks like the float rig you use for fluke, Fred. :read: 

On 8/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, SandSpike1 said:

Mepps Aglia spinner

This ^^