coastalfreak

Do You Prefer Bait or Lures

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Both equally for me.  It depends on how I feel actually.  If I feel strong I’ll more than likely grab the lure bag but if I’m not feeling at my peak I’m probably tossing chunks or clam.  I do like it when a popper gets creamed though.  There is nothing more fun than that but i catch more fish with bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prefer artificial. Nothing like making all the right moves to “match the hatch” and fool the fish into eating what you’re offering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, night owl said:

I'm 100% Artificial.

 

A baiter is like a trapper. With bait, you basically set a trap, then wait and hope the fish's nose finds you.

 

With lures your more of a hunter. You cover ground and pursue an animal you can't even see. Much more knowledge & skill is needed. Greater is the challenge and greater is the reward. 

Bait feels more luck for me when everyone is using the same set up/bait wheres the lure is more skill/personal feeling for me. With the wide choice of lures, colors, retrieval styles and being like a puppeteer, lures make me feel more sporting then the bait and wait. 

 Relating it to say painting... bait (in my mind)would be by the numbers and lure would be freehand. You get the pic in the end but with freehand you have to have skilled strokes (heheh) to be consistent

but nothing beats live bait At catching 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Tbird650 said:

Bait feels more luck for me when everyone is using the same set up/bait wheres the lure is more skill/personal feeling for me. With the wide choice of lures, colors, retrieval styles and being like a puppeteer, lures make me feel more sporting then the bait and wait. 

 Relating it to say painting... bait (in my mind)would be by the numbers and lure would be freehand. You get the pic in the end but with freehand you have to have skilled strokes (heheh) to be consistent

but nothing beats live bait At catching 

Not all bait fishermen are bait and wait. Placing the bait in just the right spot is a skill.  To be good at it you still need to read the water, learn patterns etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Not all bait fishermen are bait and wait. Placing the bait in just the right spot is a skill.  To be good at it you still need to read the water, learn patterns etc.  

You are right. To lob bait and not knock it off the hook takes experience and drifting roe for steelhead and getting the weight just right takes practice and skill. I was just thinking personally for me on lure vs bait and that was my first thought. To be a consistent catching fishermen you have to have that skill set with bait or lures.

 

Live bait can be so effective it is not allowed many places right?

Edited by Tbird650

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bait fish like I fish artificials. I won’t move or cast as much but do move and always hold my rod. That being said I’m well educated in both methods and each has its place. That said Baitfishing is my first love and I’m loyal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

While I’m a bait guy, I do LOVE popping corks. I use live shrimp under a popping corn, so you get the best of both worlds.

Off the Georgia beaches, I’ve had little luck with anything but bait. So, at that location, I prefer soaking bait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nothing like chunking! But I’ve since decided i wanted to master the darter and honestly hasn’t been going well lmao! But to answer your question I prefer lure’s much more of a challenge in my opinion so much to learn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fishhappy said:

Off the Georgia beaches, I’ve had little luck with anything but bait. So, at that location, I prefer soaking bait. 

Georgia and South Carolina’s salt marshes can be tricky to fish. The guys down here swear by lures in the backcountry, but it’s gotta be live shrimp for me. 

 

In the surf though, bluefish as well as Spanish Mackerel smack the infamous Gotcha Plug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Georgia and South Carolina’s salt marshes can be tricky to fish. The guys down here swear by lures in the backcountry, but it’s gotta be live shrimp for me. 

 

In the surf though, bluefish as well as Spanish Mackerel smack the infamous Gotcha Plug.

I catch all my blues on dripping blood fresh cut whiting chunks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:31 AM, Ted Pietz said:

Hard to beat a live eel. Live bait will out fish lures. That said I have all kinds of plugs so that is my starting point. I carry a snag hook for bunker though and a few hooks. It's good to be ready for anything.

I agree. I used to fish live eels mostly for stripers for many years then for the last twenty seasons I fished strictly artificial lures for them. I have found that I catch just as many bass with lures and plugs but the average size is considerably smaller on the artificials.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I agree but over the seasons and after fishing live eels exclusively for many years, I see by my experience with fishing strictly artificial lures over the last 20 years that I catch just as many stripers on the plugs and lures as I did with live eels however the average size is smaller.

 

Less of a hassle too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 8:16 PM, coastalfreak said:

What do you guys prefer?

Lures.

 

I like to run & gun shoreline when I'm surfcasting. I don't have the patience to cast out bait and sit there and wait.

 

I have used eels for stripers, with pretty good success, at the canal. However, I move around just like I do when I'm only fishing with lures.

 

The primary time I use bait is when I'm freshwater fishing at places like Wachusett reservoir. I'll have a bait rod out, usually shiners, sometimes blown up worms or worms under a slip bobber, so I have better chances of hooking up while I'm also casting lures.

 

At Quabbin reservoir when I'm trolling for lakers, salmon & 'bows, I'll troll shiners in April, early May.

 

99% of the time when I'm saltwater fishing, it's lures only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.