coastalfreak

Do You Prefer Bait or Lures

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Tough One. 

I'm a bait guy, just because I love just handling live and dead baits and throwing them out and waiting. Waiting for that rod tip to bend. 

What do you guys prefer?

I bait fished my first season. Tried it a few times since.

I like to be more active I guess, and I like casting, using different stuff in my bag(s) and feeling the hit on a retrieve.

From a boat is one thing, I usually start with artificial bait but won't hesitate to use what I catch for many situations calling for bait. From shore, my attention span for bait is too limited. I throw topwater and bucktails mostly, and rarely get skunked if I can figure out some kind of pattern or just get lucky. There are days where I target the wrong species in the wrong place and just get a few sore muscles out of the deal, but either way, usually the scenery, wildlife, and reward of not couching it up for a few hours makes it worth it.

+1 for artificials 

I’m a lure guy.  Just like I rather drive way out of my way and be moving than sitting still in traffic....

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looking at my tackle shed its clearly artificilals. But there are certain instances and species that I use bait for more often.

If I just soak bait the beer disappears too quickly.

Edited by Badtothebugs

I feel more satisfied when I can trick a predator into thinking its next meal is easy pickings with something made out of plastic or wood. Rather than letting meat soak on a hook. That being said, my biggest fish to date was on a bunker chunk from a boat. So i cant really discriminate.

Boat fish don't count.

:wee:

13 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

my biggest fish to date was on a bunker chunk from a boat.

I'm 100% Artificial.

A baiter is like a trapper. With bait, you basically set a trap, then wait and hope the fish's nose finds you.

With lures your more of a hunter. You cover ground and pursue an animal you can't even see. Much more knowledge & skill is needed. Greater is the challenge and greater is the reward.