Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcarmen

Hook for live lining spot for flounder

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tried fishing for flounder today for the first time live lining spot. All I had was number 1 gami octopus on me which seemed alright for the 4" to 6" spot i was using. I caught a bunch of fish but hooked some shorts fairly deep. What hook and size would you recommend for for this as my research brings up circles are not good for flounder.

Edited by mcarmen

I don't know why circles wouldn't work on flounder. I'm seeing tons of hits on threads of people successfully using them after a google search.

Just size the hook to what you're catching. 4/0 Gama sounds about right. You'll have to fiddle with how you hook the spot to keep a circle from burying in it, bit once you work it out, you cast, wait for the bite, and start reeling.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Back in the day, the standard hook for that was the Eagle Claw L141 or L042. Mustad was the 37160. 

141 is the kahle and can be used in sizes 2/0-4/0. The larger the bait, the larger the hook. 

042 is described as a salmon hook, but I only ever knew them as wide bend hooks. They can be 1/0-5/0.

Both styles slide to a corner of the mouth like a circle, but can be set with a strike. For a flounder, that means the point of the jaw. Reds and trout will be hooked in the hinge of the jaw. 

I use bronze hooks so I can cut the line and be confident the hook will rot quickly if I get an occasional gut hook. 

Edited by Sweetwater

Been using 4/0 to 7/0 Gammi J hooks for years fishing with spots. Hook in the mouth and out through the nose and they will stay alive till something eats them.