flysully

Replacing trebles on albies lures

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

What I've read is to use these style ...eye inline with hook.Rear hook faces up and front hook faces forward so the point is not tucked against the lure during the retrieve

16 hours ago, flysully said:

Yes, have used the siwash after deciding to replace the trebles, for the past few years. Economical and efficient. Like the wide gap.  However, I've found the siwash rusts quickly. Can't remember if, when I replaced with the siwash, was the hook point on top of the lure, like shown here, or pointing downwards, below the lure? Does it matter, do you think? Thanks.

Throw a coat of hard as nails on the siwash hooks it will slow the rusting down a bit.

I change out the factory hooks and replace with a single swish. Easier on the fish and quicker, safer release, so we can catch them again later.

25 mins ago, triumph said:

What I've read is to use these style ...eye inline with hook.Rear hook faces up and front hook faces forward so the point is not tucked against the lure during the retrieve

good advice. thx.

19 hours ago, flysully said:

Based on your experience fishing for albies with lures, DD's, Hogy's, epoxy jigs, etc., what are the best single hooks to use to replace the trebles that come installed on the DD's, etc? 

I'm thinking inline hooks, of what size, I'm not sure. 

With inline hooks, would the installed hook point face upwards or downwards? Does it make a difference?

I've been pretty much satisfied with my shore albie catch rate when switching to a single hook. However, while not a major issue, I realize, when utilizing the single hook and seeing the bumps/splashes/hits of the albie to the single hook and then misses when I could have hooked that albie with the treble, could it be the style of the chosen style hook? 

I'm pretty much determined to give the albies a break and remove trebles from my lures from now on seeing the damage the trebles do to these fish we look forward to catching in the fall. I'm used to flyfishing for albies using a single 1 or 2 hook, hooking them in the lip, no bleeding and releasing them. Trebles, as I see when using them, can do a lot of damage and I'm not comfortable doing that.

So, back to the original question: which brand/style/size single hook would you choose to replace those trebles?

Just crush barbs..

34 mins ago, Batman67 said:

Just crush barbs..

I do on everything, but it sucks when you catch an albie or blue and their mouth is hammered shut around a treble hook.  1 tine in the top of the mouth, 1 in the bottom. Sucks :(

45 mins ago, Danny1199 said:

I do on everything, but it sucks when you catch an albie or blue and their mouth is hammered shut around a treble hook.  1 tine in the top of the mouth, 1 in the bottom. Sucks :(

That's exactly why I' m switching out the trebles.

23 hours ago, flysully said:

So, back to the original question: which brand/style/size single hook would you choose to replace those trebles?

I hated the VMC inline singles. The Owner Single Replacement hooks are much higher quality: better point geometry, slightly thinner gauge, will hold a sticky sharp point longer...all this translates into quicker hook penetration to the barb and fewer lost fish. 

20 hours ago, XBMX said:

No hair, you want a small profile. Eagle Claw 254 in size 2.  Short shank with large eye for split ring. Comes SS or tinned 

I agree with you 100% on these hooks ... the 354ss has a larger eye  ... if they are still available. The Inline hook rides 90 degrees out (side to side instead of up and down) and jeopardizes your chance of solid hookup.

14 mins ago, smellfish said:

I agree with you 100% on these hooks ... the 354ss has a larger eye  ... if they are still available. The Inline hook rides 90 degrees out (side to side instead of up and down) and jeopardizes your chance of solid hookup.

Use another split ring to address the issue

1 min ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Use another split ring to address the issue

Definitely but a standard J hook requires only one split ring. 

2 mins ago, smellfish said:

Definitely but a standard J hook requires only one split ring. 

Yep. Some like 2 so the hook can fold back tighter to the lure body during the cast.

1 min ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Yep. Some like 2 so the hook can fold back tighter to the lure body during the cast.

Excellent point ...