flysully

Replacing trebles on albies lures

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Based on your experience fishing for albies with lures, DD's, Hogy's, epoxy jigs, etc., what are the best single hooks to use to replace the trebles that come installed on the DD's, etc? 

I'm thinking inline hooks, of what size, I'm not sure. 

With inline hooks, would the installed hook point face upwards or downwards? Does it make a difference?

I've been pretty much satisfied with my shore albie catch rate when switching to a single hook. However, while not a major issue, I realize, when utilizing the single hook and seeing the bumps/splashes/hits of the albie to the single hook and then misses when I could have hooked that albie with the treble, could it be the style of the chosen style hook? 

I'm pretty much determined to give the albies a break and remove trebles from my lures from now on seeing the damage the trebles do to these fish we look forward to catching in the fall. I'm used to flyfishing for albies using a single 1 or 2 hook, hooking them in the lip, no bleeding and releasing them. Trebles, as I see when using them, can do a lot of damage and I'm not comfortable doing that.

So, back to the original question: which brand/style/size single hook would you choose to replace those trebles?

Edited by flysully

4 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Siwash hook

VMC Siwash Open Eye Hook Size 1/0, 50-Pack

Yes, have used the siwash after deciding to replace the trebles, for the past few years. Economical and efficient. Like the wide gap.  However, I've found the siwash rusts quickly. Can't remember if, when I replaced with the siwash, was the hook point on top of the lure, like shown here, or pointing downwards, below the lure? Does it matter, do you think? Thanks.

7 mins ago, flysully said:

Yes, have used the siwash after deciding to replace the trebles, for the past few years. Economical and efficient. Like the wide gap.  However, I've found the siwash rusts quickly. Can't remember if, when I replaced with the siwash, was the hook point on top of the lure, like shown here, or pointing downwards, below the lure? Does it matter, do you think? Thanks.

i would use this style. This is a VMC. You can find them in different quality. I'm sure some are more resistant to rust than others. So long as the hook is sharp, it will work.

11 mins ago, notime said:

Do you dress them with bucktail?

As of now? No, I haven't dressed them with bucktail. Do you think I should?

1 hour ago, flysully said:

Based on your experience fishing for albies with lures, DD's, Hogy's, epoxy jigs, etc., what are the best single hooks to use to replace the trebles that come installed on the DD's, etc?

The best single hook would be hard to answer.

All you would hear is preferred hook.

I like to use bonito flies hooks

They come in size #2

20180830_183021.jpg

20180830_183037.jpg

43 mins ago, Popasilov said:

The best single hook would be hard to answer.

All you would hear is preferred hook.

I like to use bonito flies hooks

They come in size #2

20180830_183021.jpg

20180830_183037.jpg

Thank you. So, who is the mfr. of your bonito hooks?

They are made by  Ahi USA

I order them on Amzon since no one caries them in my area.

In California, those are sold in almost every tackle store

Owner Zo-Wire 3X Inline Hooks in 2/0 for me, they're a little more pricey but well worth it compared to other inline singles I've tried (mustad,vmc, generics)

Very rust resistant 

Edited by Jetex2801

Last year during a really good day albie fishing, I swapped out the treble hook on my hoagie jig with a VMC inline single. 

Every single albie, when I got them in close, came off. I didn't mind much cause I caught a bunch already, but I wouldn't recommend that type of hook. 

Also, the year before, did the same thing with an SP minnow. Every bluefish came off as well. Swapped it out for a teaser on the rear of the SP, and landed everything. 

No hair, you want a small profile. Eagle Claw 254 in size 2.  Short shank with large eye for split ring. Comes SS or tinned 

I have multiple lures of the  same kind. I use dressed treble so lure stands out in a crowd. Also single dressed for when there is grass or weed in water from moon tides. And just plain bare hooks. I switch out with red hooks and add eyes to lures anything to make lure stand out. Also I wash every lure that I use with warm fresh water and let dry before putting back in boxes.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by littletunnie