Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishnbear

Mirage Drive vs Prop Drive in Weeds

6 posts in this topic

Was wondering how prop drives do in weeds compared to the mirage drive. I've done a lot more freshwater this year which has me going into some pretty weedy areas in my Outback. Have to say, the mirage does pretty well in all but the weediest spots. I'm sort of pre- scouting a possible new boat for next year. Haven't ruled out a PA (not the 360 one) but think I'm leaning towards an OT or Native. Mostly fish smaller lakes/ponds with dirt ramps  and I own a pickup so transport shouldn't be a problem. Unlike in saltwater, for freshwater I bring the kitchen sink. 5-6 rods avg, crate etc. Any info appreciated.

Thx T

It all depends on what weeds we are talking about.  Millfoil is diffeeent from Hydrilla. Here is a test I did with Overgrown hydrilla .  If you add cutting blades to the housing of a prop drive?  It will outperform a Hobie hands down in Hydrilla. 

Some weeds are so bad it can be impossible to lift a hobie or prop drive!  The paddle rules there! 

Mostly milfoil but hydrilla too. My favorite lake they have an eco harvester there full time in summer for the milfoil. Bloody mess after they spend the day weeding. I’ve paddled the OB a lot this summer. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, fishnbear said:

Mostly milfoil but hydrilla too. My favorite lake they have an eco harvester there full time in summer for the milfoil. Bloody mess after they spend the day weeding. I’ve paddled the OB a lot this summer. 

That's a curious situation..... how's the fishing after they disrupt the Lake or should i say,  the areas that they're weeding.

Id think it takes a while for the feeding dynamics to reset.....

Edited by BillZ
Double post

17 mins ago, fishnbear said:

You can always wait and  get the 106 Topwater on sale. Certainly won’t hurt to invest in a prop. I prefer the Old Town PDL drives and the 106 Topwater is my winter assault vehicle.  

The blades I used in the video are made by mosshawg. I had to cut it apart and epoxy the holder to the housing.  Wish someone would make a housing to direct fit the hawg plastic blades to the prop drive housings. 

0BDA70CE-8558-4F0A-98A9-7084743D0ED7.jpeg

In a word it sucks. If it’s obvious they’ve been out very recently, I bail and go somewhere else. Usually settles down in a few days. They typically stay to the “main “ lake and the outlying areas are relatively unaffected. Not sure how many times they do this a summer but I always have a plan B just in case.