Punch63

CANAL SCUM

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

First off, I'm not a raciest. but just an observation, why is it the only time I guys keeping illegal fish - too short, too many, 

they don't speak english. Was there this morning, three guys leaving, had a bucket full of shorts. I would

have loved to have said something, but was afraid I would have been jumped.

I have a novel idea, instead of raising money thru buying a license plate wth a Striped Bass on it, 

why don't the Environmental Police station themselves at all the parking lots on the weekends

along the canal and write up these guys as they leave. I think that would raise a lot more money for

the conservation of the fish. 

37 mins ago, Punch63 said:

why is it the only time I guys keeping illegal fish - too short, too many, 

they don't speak english.

Selective outrage.

I've seen plenty of (english speaking) white guys skirting the rules & regulations. 

Last year there was a poaching operation, a bunch of white guys, that I saw during comm season.  They would be at the same pole, during an overnight tide, catching stripers while one of the ran them up to a car.

4 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Selective outrage.

I've seen plenty of (english speaking) white guys skirting the rules & regulations. 

Last year there was a poaching operation, a bunch of white guys, that I saw during comm season.  They would be at the same pole, during an overnight tide, catching stripers while one of the ran them up to a car.

What he said. 

4 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Selective outrage.

It's not 'selective' if that is his personal experience. Once he sees what you have seen and makes the same statement, then you would have a point.

55 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

then you would have a point.

Some people only look in one direction. The worse canal abuses over the last few years are equal opportunity...just sayin'.  :)

Just now, zak-striper said:

Some people only look in one direction. The worse canal abuses over the last few years are equal opportunity...just sayin'.  :)

I agree, but he noted his personal observations. Scum bags come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

One of the points I made, is that there needs to be more of a presence from the guys who carry 

the guns, and write the fines. I see three guys carrying illegals, and I should say hold on a minute while I call the environmental police on you. I don't think so

12 mins ago, Punch63 said:

One of the points I made, is that there needs to be more of a presence from the guys who carry 

the guns, and write the fines. I see three guys carrying illegals, and I should say hold on a minute while I call the environmental police on you. I don't think so

Next time get their plates and call it in anonymously. Doing nothing is the worst thing you can do. 

14 mins ago, Punch63 said:

Call it in next time. Ealier this year I saw a white guy netting herring at the run then he'd live line them and cast them out. I was going to say something but he had that crazy look in his eye when he kept looking over his shoulders to see if anyone was watching.  I called the EPOs while watching him from the canal road so I could give them a detailed description of him.

27 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Call it in next time. Ealier this year I saw a white guy netting herring at the run then he'd live line them and cast them out. I was going to say something but he had that crazy look in his eye when he kept looking over his shoulders to see if anyone was watching.  I called the EPOs while watching him from the canal road so I could give them a detailed description of him.

Sak speaking from previous encounters once they stopped the taking of herring out of the Bournedale run I was enlightened to find that several members of the nation have unlimited rights to take herring for what ever purposes they deem . The persons in question both had fish caught by live lining herring they netted from the run and were inside the run as well. My call brought the environmental police , to the edge of the canal and they were requested to talk with the police officer who explained that what they were doing was illegal and that is when the both took out paper work that stated as members of the tribe that they do not follow the same laws and that it was there right to do what they were doing. The police left and the two continued to fish and take herring and no ticket was issued. So be aware that in some cases what we may seem illegal may not be , so you need to be careful on how you go about it. The laws are not equally dispensed in all cases.

1 min ago, Angler #1 said:

The laws are not equally dispensed in all cases.

They were in this case. They didn't break any and they were allowed to continue with their fishing as was their right.

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

when the both took out paper work that stated as members of the tribe that they do not follow the same laws and that it was there right to do what they were doing.

Yes, I know about the Indian heritage allowance.

That crossed my mind before I called. That day it was cloudy, with on & off drizzle. The canal was pretty empty. From the time the guy got there till I left, he was constantly looking up and behind, towards the canal road like he was nervous and on the lookout. If he wasn't acting so oddly I probably wouldn't have called the EPO. As I said, he had a crazy look in his eye. I was going to ask if he was part Indian but I wasn't in the mood for a verbal altercation.