Bigred78

Rod Geeks Fly Rod Quality

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I've been getting more and more into fly fishing lately and i want to start doing some saltwater. I want to build a 9wt for blues and stripers. I was going to use a rod geeks blank but i have no idea about the quality of their fly blanks. If someone has used one I would be grateful if they could share their opinion.

Billy Vivona is likely to  have  an opinion. You can find him easily in rod building forum.

There is a reasonable choice of blanks out there. 

CTS are makers of world class fly blanks. Worth looking at them. Other end of price spectrum you have Dan Craft  and Rain Shadow. Sage sell blanks to.

These companies have provenance .

mike

38 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Billy Vivona is likely to  have  an opinion. You can find him easily in rod building forum.

There is a reasonable choice of blanks out there. 

CTS are makers of world class fly blanks. Worth looking at them. Other end of price spectrum you have Dan Craft  and Rain Shadow. Sage sell blanks to.

These companies have provenance .

mike

never thrown a CTS fly rod but the spinning rods and surf rods are super popular here with the local on the Outer Banks.  

Brian

I have been fishing single hand CTS rods for many years now. They really are a world class product. I also have fished Sage rods for even longer. I like them equally . They are different both have their own identifiable signature. 

If you ever get the opportunity to fish one for a while there is a strong possibility that you would get to like them a lot.

Like Sage they tend to release new models frequently which means keeping up expensive.

My personal favourites are the Affinty MX in a 10 wt. Only made now as a special order. The Affinity X is a faster blank but very light and very castable.

They will cast to accurate AAFTM  line ratings. So my  MX 10 wt is very happy throwing a nominal 280 grains plus a bit more. It is not a 12 wt in disguise like some  modern salt water fly rods.

One day I will have to  come and break my personal rule and come fish  in a boat with you  and we can play around with each other’s rods. Be fun and catch a few fish  to.

I can only speak of them in terms of shore fishing capability. I have no idea as to their suitability for boat fishing and the species you often target .

Mike

I haven't heard much about the rod geek blanks. But as others have mentioned, CTS blanks are pretty fantastic. I just built a CTS affinity X which is a great rod. I just finished building a 10wt and it can throw line any where from 375grain to 465grains pretty easily. Its a cannon of a rod. 

I love the rods I've built on CTS blanks - hard to beat given the not too insane cost.  I also have a bunch of rods I've built over the years on Batson blanks I bought pretty cheaply on eBay and I've always found them to be really solid at a much lower price point than CTS.  In a perfect world I'd only build on CTS, but those Batson rods I built 5+ years ago have really been great casting and fishing tools.  And I don't sweat them getting a little beat up when I'm shore fishing in the fall among the boulders.  Utmost Enterprises is a good source for Batson blanks at decent prices.  (I have no connection to them, I hope I'm allowed to say that in a post?)

I've built several rods on Rod Geek blanks. Both spin and fly.  They are a joint venture with St Croix.  Top quality blanks if you like St Croix tapers.  Go to their website and read things over.  

I really like the color choices.  The blanks are made in Mexico and take about 2 weeks to arrive once you place an order.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought a few blanks TFO BVK 9 and 10 weight to have extra when the rods in 9 and 10 were discontinued. *

Edited by TimS
We don’t allowing buying, selling or soliciting outside of the Buy/Sell/Trade forums here.

16 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Brian

I have been fishing single hand CTS rods for many years now. They really are a world class product. I also have fished Sage rods for even longer. I like them equally . They are different both have their own identifiable signature. 

If you ever get the opportunity to fish one for a while there is a strong possibility that you would get to like them a lot.

Like Sage they tend to release new models frequently which means keeping up expensive.

My personal favourites are the Affinty MX in a 10 wt. Only made now as a special order. The Affinity X is a faster blank but very light and very castable.

They will cast to accurate AAFTM  line ratings. So my  MX 10 wt is very happy throwing a nominal 280 grains plus a bit more. It is not a 12 wt in disguise like some  modern salt water fly rods.

One day I will have to  come and break my personal rule and come fish  in a boat with you  and we can play around with each other’s rods. Be fun and catch a few fish  to.

I can only speak of them in terms of shore fishing capability. I have no idea as to their suitability for boat fishing and the species you often target .

Mike

sounds like fun. thanks 

Since I’m still a novice and not that great at fly fishing I don’t think I’ll be able to appreciate the difference of a cts blank. Plus this will be my first fly rod build and I’d rather mess up a 140 blank rather than a 280 one.I’ll probably bight the bullet on the rod geeks blank but I’ll post a full review here when I’m done and get ample time to use it.

Take another look at Batsons, am building a 2 hand from a 

Batson RX6 spey rod blank 13 1/2 foot 9 weight 4 pc, ($50 from the bay) sort of bastardization of Red/Green's Pac Bay.

Common Cents System testing after cutting 6" from the tip seems to be on the money. Just taped all the guides (Fuji Fazlites) and ready for some casting.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Let us know how you get on with that batson TH blank, FrazerP. Don't know why you bought it as I know nothing about it and the chances of it being a total waste for a beach rod are pretty much overwhelming, given what I know about the general population of TH rods and blanks. I know you keep avoiding me when I tell you this, which I don't understand. But it's your money, spend it how you like. No skin off my back. 

Edited by RedGreen

19 hours ago, qecfly said:

I've built several rods on Rod Geek blanks. Both spin and fly.  They are a joint venture with St Croix.  Top quality blanks if you like St Croix tapers.  Go to their website and read things over.  

I really like the color choices.  The blanks are made in Mexico and take about 2 weeks to arrive once you place an order.

Exactly the answer to your question. THe Rodgeeks blanks ARE St Croix blanks,and can be painted any color you want, or just coated gloss, or matte finish. If you are familiar with St Croixs, the SC2 are Rodgeeks C2 blanks, and the SC4 are C4's. ROdgeeks also is selling SC5 blanks which are made in the USA and shipped to Mexico for painting and shipping, but I am not sure if they have any fly blanks available in SC5.

Price difference is 30% less than the St Croix's used to be priced at, and they have teh same top notch warantee policy.