Percentage of Times You Need To Pump Gas when You Get in Your Wife’s Car?

Rate this topic

RiverRaider

I almost never put gas in her truck, but I almost never drive it.

My BIL was at my place once helping me on some work when his wife (my sister) calls. He hangs up the phone and tells me he has to go because she needs gas. 

I'm like, what, she ran out of gas? And he says; no, but she's getting low and doesn't like pumping gas..:eek:

3 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

don't believe it. I have run my tanks damn near empty in every vehicle I have owned since I was a kid.  never had to replace a fuel pump. had to replace one on my daughters car which was a sonata. very easy, under the back seat. had to replace my dads in his ford ranger and had to drop the tank. my moms explorer also went bad, but she was out of state and had it fixed.and none of them ran tanks dry like I do.

Don’t have to believe it,not trying to convince you. What brand of gas and where you buy it also can be a factor.

As the generations of vehicles that deleted replaceable fuel filters from their design age,this becomes more of a problem.

Some fuel pumps don’t fail outright but they do lose efficiency. 

They depend on gas circulating thru them  and being submerged in fuel to both lubricate them and keep them cool. Degradation of pump is subtle,long term,most are not aware.

Akin to time frame it takes for shocks to wear out,you don’t notice difference day to day.

Fuel system issues from gradual loss of power,rough running and emissions failures can be traced back to owner habits regarding consistently running vehicle tank in near empty state. 

Inquire with any professional that does repairs in above paragraph and you will find the recommendation is to avoid making a practice of it.

16 mins ago, modelcitizen said:

Don’t have to believe it,not trying to convince you. What brand of gas and where you buy it also can be a factor.

As the generations of vehicles that deleted replaceable fuel filters from their design age,this becomes more of a problem.

Some fuel pumps don’t fail outright but they do lose efficiency. 

They depend on gas circulating thru them  and being submerged in fuel to both lubricate them and keep them cool. Degradation of pump is subtle,long term,most are not aware.

Akin to time frame it takes for shocks to wear out,you don’t notice difference day to day.

Fuel system issues from gradual loss of power,rough running and emissions failures can be traced back to owner habits regarding consistently running vehicle tank in near empty state. 

Inquire with any professional that does repairs in above paragraph and you will find the recommendation is to avoid making a practice of it.

for the gas, no preference other then regular. premium in the bike though.    

to each is own though. my practices have never hurt me so I will continue.  

I will say though, my last ram,2009 had 166k when I sold it out right and was still getting 12-13 miles a gallon , same as when new and never failed inspection. my 2015 still gets 18-20 mpg, same as new ., with 47k so everyone has theories. my 2005 ram is still running out in west virginia with 240k with the original fuel pump, trans and engine, but its a total rust bucket now.  my cousin bought it from me.

Edited by coolhandfluke

Fish come and go, but memories of fishing with family last forever.

3 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

don't believe it. I have run my tanks damn near empty in every vehicle I have owned since I was a kid.  never had to replace a fuel pump. had to replace one on my daughters car which was a sonata. very easy, under the back seat. had to replace my dads in his ford ranger and had to drop the tank. my moms explorer also went bad, but she was out of state and had it fixed.and none of them ran tanks dry like I do.

Absolutely true.

Ask me how I know.  I already told you how my wife rolls....

Nowadays most fuel pumps are in the tank for cooling reasons.  Low fuel = hot pump.

2 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

I'm not even going to read this before I comment. After 11 years of marriage, most days it feels much much longer, the answer is 85% and the other 15% is because she is still driving on the same tank of gas from the last time I filled up.

Excellent point

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. – William James

6 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

for the gas, no preference other then regular. premium in the bike though.    

to each is own though. my practices have never hurt me so I will continue.  

I will say though, my last ram,2009 had 166k when I sold it out right and was still getting 12-13 miles a gallon , same as when new and never failed inspection. my 2015 still gets 18-20 mpg, same as new ., with 47k so everyone has theories. my 2005 ram is still running out in west virginia with 240k with the original fuel pump, trans and engine, but its a total rust bucket now.  my cousin bought it from me.

Theories...one $2k fuel system repair bill might have you rethinking that. Not your turn,yet. Premium gas in mc waste of money,no bikes sold in this country in stock configuration except for certain German,Italian models require it. Most will run on 87 octane,89 a better choice with more detergents to keep fuel system clean.

11 hours ago, modelcitizen said:

Theories...one $2k fuel system repair bill might have you rethinking that. Not your turn,yet. Premium gas in mc waste of money,no bikes sold in this country in stock configuration except for certain German,Italian models require it. Most will run on 87 octane,89 a better choice with more detergents to keep fuel system clean.

Mike, why did they do away with replaceable fuel filters? Is it mostly due to the high pressure lines due to fuel injection?