Percentage of Times You Need To Pump Gas when You Get in Your Wife’s Car?

Rate this topic

RiverRaider

1 hour ago, Markushook said:

:laugh:

Then try, not answering the phone when she calls to tell you :D 

You know how that works when we don't answer, right?

Typically I'm >60 miles away so she's on her own.  She owns it and is a good sport about it.

Like I said, its a bad joke in our circle

6 hours ago, makorider said:

You know how that works when we don't answer, right?

Typically I'm >60 miles away so she's on her own.  She owns it and is a good sport about it.

Like I said, its a bad joke in our circle

Tough love is good for a relationship :D 

honest to God, my wife knows not to run out of gas. If I had to go help her it would be way more embarrassing for her then running out of gas. My kids too! 

8 hours ago, bospa357 said:

Mike, why did they do away with replaceable fuel filters? Is it mostly due to the high pressure lines due to fuel injection?

Not so much that,fuel injected vehicles appeared in Europe in the 70s and mid/late 80s here. All had replaceable fuel filters,some had more than one. Manufacturers started to omit them to save a couple dollars,imagine how much money you're saving when building millions of vehicles...some engineer got a huge bonus.

I have retrofitted fuel filters to customers,relatives cars,people that keep cars for a long time.  A lot of vehicles have returnless fuel systems,meaning all the fuel pumped goes to the engine,none is returned to the tank. Corvettes,Camaros in recent years used a specific fuel filter as a pressure regulator and ran only a pressure line to engine. These filter/regulators are popular with fuel injection retrofits on muscle cars as they limit amount of plumbing involved. Always a catch,right? The filters cost @$80

Cars in last two years have high pressure common rail DFI,direct fuel injection that injects fuel right into combustion chamber in cylinder head. More efficient than MPI systems,can allow some pretty high combustion ratios in conjunction with aluminum cyl heads. Already seeing problems with injector tip clogging issues from using poor quality gas,this will become more of a problem as more of these vehicles hit the road. Won't be long before you see the latest round of pour in additives touting to claim 100% effectiveness in cleaning.

I cut a lot of fuel filters open,both on problem cars and vehicles i know well long term,mine and relatives and some customers. You wold be very surprised at what you pump into your car at the gas station,some brands of gas are notably worse than others and a few are consistently cleaner than others,this over a period of years of inspections. Nothing can really be done about the contaminants in our gas supply other than to buy known good gas religiously. When you consider the fact that your car no longer has a replaceable fuel filter and the one on the pump in tank is a sock with a plastic screen in it that's @1.5" wide x 4" long, a vehicle kept long term,like mine 200K+,you want to use good gas,it makes a difference.

Something else to gnaw on,there's gonna be junk floating around in your tank,you pumped it in there. When tank is near or just about empty that stuff is sloshing back and forth with that last gallon or two in the tank and is most likely the time for it to be picked up in filtering sock. The weight of a more full tank of gas keeps the trash more or less pinned in place. Costs just the same to keep a tank full as it does to be running around on empty...

On 8/17/2019 at 0:41 PM, Rickman said:

Almost never. She refills it herself as soon as it approaches 1/4 tank. If we are going somewhere in her car she usually fills it the day before.

Mine will do it at 1/2 a tank. 

Now my kids are a different story. We have an extra car for them to use when they come home. All 3 of them make very good money in their jobs so money is not an issue but I can count on 1 hand the times their car has had more than a 1/4 tank in it over the last 5 years.

If you use eclairs in your example, he will get it right away. MikeMc

Only time I ever put gas in my wife’s car was to ditch 10-15 gallons in cans so I could buy fresh

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black