JustamanwhoknowstheMan

Using a drop shot rig in saltwater?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience or luck using a drop shot rig while fishing in saltwater.

My thoughts are to rig a mirrolure soft plastic shad like I would a plastic worm or lizard for catching bass

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Any thoughts or tips on rigging soft plastics for saltwater in general?

People have been fishing for fluke with a spro and a gulp 'teaser' 20 years before the largemouth dudes figured it out.

Reminds me of the Alabama Rig.  lol  We been dragging umbrellas for 40 years.

Drop shotting can ve very effective in the heat of the summer or coldest times of winter when the fish are lethargic and react better to a deadsticked bait. 

I use drop shot rigs frequently for speckled trout.  Usually a small Zoom fluke  6" - 12" above a drop shot weight.  Strong medicine, especially in the winter months when their metabolism slows and they hug the bottom.  And yes, a Ned Rig works real well for redfish. 

IMO.....Isn't it the same thing when using a bucktail with a teaser above? Also wouldn't a top and bottom rig be the same thing as a drop shot rig??  

23 mins ago, Joe D. said:

IMO.....Isn't it the same thing when using a bucktail with a teaser above? Also wouldn't a top and bottom rig be the same thing as a drop shot rig??  

Similar or even same, basically. Add a few more droppers with sparsely adorned hooks, and you have the basic sabiki rig. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Joe D. said:

A typical dropshot rig does not use a dropper loop. It's tied direct with a Palomar knot. It is a finesse style of fishing for when the fish are sluggish. 

Edited by Badtothebugs

Nice thing about drop shot is that it keeps a bait in the strike zone longer. The bad thing is when you want to throw something else it’s a huge hassle having to tie on a new leader.