Targeting cownosed rays

Rate this topic

BrianBM

There seem to be a lot of them, and people who catch them find them a good fight.

I infer that most folks who hook one are doing so by accident, while fishing for bass. That implies bait, probably chunked bait.

If you were targeting cownosed rays, how would you do it?  I have in mind doing so from shore, but no answer that pertains to fishing for cownosed rays from a boat will be punished.  Clam or bunker? A Heaver, or something lighter?  Circle or J hook? Leader?

If we're short of large bass, I'm content to adapt to fishing for a different power fish, so to speak. 

23 mins ago, FishinMortician said:

They belly down to the bottom and sulk. They sit there pouting. I find plucking the line helps to get them moving again. Use ten pound test leader so you can break them off without having to land them.

CNR absolutely do not do this. They run, and they run. They are a blast on light tackle. When they first showed up in NJ years ago we targeted them regularly on flyrods. They were a lot of fun and challenging to hook. You need to make a good cast and presentation. Too close and they spook. 

I never found tipping the fly the fly to help with hook ups. Make a good cast and they’ll probably eat. Then hold on and enjoy the run. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

24 mins ago, hobobob said:

Is it cheating if you use meat on your hook? asking for a friend. 

Use cheap bendable hook though, this way, you can give up a fight whenever you feel like it.

We would just break them off when close. To much trouble to actually put on the beach. 

They’re cool creatures too. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

26 mins ago, FishinMortician said:

They belly down to the bottom and sulk. They sit there pouting. I find plucking the line helps to get them moving again. Use ten pound test leader so you can break them off without having to land them.

Rough tails suction cup the bottom cownose not so much.

Basically a bycatch while chunking bunker.

Beached some big ones on 20lb mono but its an exhausting workout for angler and fish.

Foul hook a lrg in the butt and your in for a workout.

**** the U.N.

17 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Rough tails suction cup the bottom cownose not so much.

Basically a bycatch while chunking bunker.

Beached some big ones on 20lb mono but its an exhausting workout for angler and fish.

Foul hook a lrg in the butt and your in for a workout.

Rough tails are a lot of fun and the big ones have no trouble dumping 100yds off your reel in short order, but you really have to fight hard to keep them off the bottom once you get them in close.

Cow nose rays are just as fun without being so brutal on you gear and your back.

They are an absolute blast on light tackle.  Almost got spooled by a monster last week.. 15lb braid on a daiwa coastal 200 with a noodly little slow pitch rod and I was down to my last 50yds or so of line.. like hooking onto the bumper of a car.. 20 minutes of pure enjoyment..

They prefer bait in my experience.  FF rig with Bunker or clam when I'm specifically targeting them... but they have taken gulp several times in the last few weeks while I was fishing for fluke.. 

I land them, unhook and then release.. barb is located at the base of the tail and its fairly easy to just wrap it up with a wet rag for safety purposes.. 

Good luck!!!!!

Have caught way too many....just despise hookin' up on those bastages....tackle busters and boring like DT said............

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"