Steve in Mass

Blowfish Tactics

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Will be down right after Labor Day and am hoping these are still around. As much as I fish in NJ every year, it is early spring and/or late fall, and it has been since the late 60's early 70's that I have "summer fished" (See my "Memories of the Navesink")....blue crab, blowfish, eel by catch, snapper blues, fluke, and whatever else. Will be renting a skiff to go out on Barneget Bay one day while I am down.

So....blowfish........best I remember  as a 8-12 year old kid is we used bloodworms (which today you have to take a second mortgage to buy) and sandworms.....squid strips, but I don't think they caught as much. Pretty simple rig, kinda like a winter flounder hook, maybe with some beads or spinners? Pop and Uncle Johnny at times would use spreaders, but I think that may have been earlier in the year when we went for winter flounder. Lightest lead you can get away with to hold bottom (although from a boat, that is straight down with little current in most areas, so an ounce is usually more than a enough.)

On the right track?

In light of the bank account you need for bloodworms, are other baits currently being used?

Thanks.

I haven't lived in NJ in a few years now, but during the early part of this decade I caught some late August to early September in Barnegat Bay. Used a regular high low rig with small hooks (size 2) and small pieces of clams. Lots of fun. 

Steve, chum with some crushed up clams/clam shells - they get worked up and will literally eat anything :)  Squid would be my first choice...stays on better than worms and is much, much cheaper :)

TimS

Sorry, a real basic two hook bait rig is fine - small hooks like #2 or #4. For me that's an overhand loop at the end of my leader then two good sized dropper loops tied about a foot apart, the first one a few inches above the sinker. Tighten them up well - then clip one leg of each dropper loop near the knot. You now have to 'leaders' to snell yer hooks on :th:  That's my ghetto high-low rig :)  

TimS

Squid is a good cheap and easy bait. Also recommend using some chum. Last year we'd either make something up or purchase the chum logs at the bait shop. Once they come to the chum they eat everything. Small two hook rigs with a light enough sinker. We had doubles and filled the cooler in about an hour on 2 chum logs most days. We'd keep the ones we caught in the water in the back of the boat and let go the smaller ones.

2 outings 90 blowfish.  I used clam chum logs and small pieces of clam for bait,  I cut the pieces into the size of my thumbnail.  But they do clean it off quickly.  I'll try squid on the next go around. 

30 mins ago, fishless said:

2 outings 90 blowfish.  I used clam chum logs and small pieces of clam for bait,  I cut the pieces into the size of my thumbnail.  But they do clean it off quickly.  I'll try squid on the next go around. 

Chunks of gulp work good too.  

9 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Chunks of gulp work good too.  

+1 on chunks of gulp. If they’re chummed up they’ll hit just about anything. The gulp certainly stays on better than fresh/salted clam as well. Have never tried, but have to assume fishbites are an effective and cheap alternative too

22 mins ago, VF96 said:

+1 on chunks of gulp. If they’re chummed up they’ll hit just about anything. The gulp certainly stays on better than fresh/salted clam as well. Have never tried, but have to assume fishbites are an effective and cheap alternative too

Tried the clam fishbites and they were not as effective as salted clams.  Also soaked gulp in the clam container.  That worked too but salted clam out caught the gulp by a wide margin, about 10 fish in the boat before 1 hit the gulp. 

Heavy chumming with clam logs and well salted small pieces of clam works the best for me. I tried the squid and gulp and it was not as productive as the salted clam was. Check out a couple local bait shops and they will hook you up with bait and info. Good luck!

68604817_10215321932547789_4868210795676

Small Long shank hooks, size 4, 6, 8. Don't underestimate those teeth. I'd go with salted clam and squid strips as a second option.