jjdbike

Can we talk about Albi Snax & Zoom Fluke please?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I know many like and catch a variety of fish on Albi Snax. I also see & like the fact they have some weight to them (i.e. 1/2 oz).

I'm wondering if a fluke or super fluke on a 1/2 oz bullet head bucktail (died white or pink, whatever coloer Fluke is) would be as effective for albies etc?

I see people use weighted swim bait hook, probably makes it swim more level & if so, wondering why same wouldn't work w/ Zoom fluke or super fluke?

I'm asking beacuse I've heard when thes fish get really pickey, like Albies or Spanish, a soft bait fished a little slower & jerkey can get strikes. I've also heard that they sometimes pop up righ next to jetty, in which case, it would be easier to work, no?

Love to hear your thoughts and expereince please.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, jjdbike said:

. I've also heard that they sometimes pop up righ next to jetty, in which case, it would be easier to work, no?

 

Great line of thinking!  Nothing more frustrating than having albies bust all around you and they wont hit a thing, so having more tricks up your sleeve is always a bonus

 

My two cents on this - the owner of albie snax lives in the same town as me (western long island sound).  I have seen him first hand catch albies within two feet of the jetty to a local inlet.  They swarm in like a jet fighter squadron chasing bait, then turn on a dime inside and speed back out.  VERY difficult to hook up when they are doing this.  Essentially stating the snax do a great job on them when they are in close and a lead head would most likely have a higher probability of getting snagged in the rocks.  Now, out in the open or out beyond a jetty, definitely makes sense to extra distance on each cast

 

Hope this is helpful

 

Tight Lines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albie Snax has been a go to for albies and bass for me for the last 7 or more years. As you say it has some heft to cast well but also has a darting action. When albies are on anchovies or peanuts they are prone to hit the Snax. Same with bass when they are on small bait. Based on useless hunches I think the darting action is a draw. I rig them on a 4/0 Owner weighted keel hook. I retrieve it a a slow to moderate speed. 

As far as the Super Flukes go, I generally fish them unweighted on a 5/0 worm hook and retrieve them slower than the Snax. They are very effective for albies. The larger Flukes are also the go to lure for holdover bass when fished on a lead head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chunks said:

 

Great line of thinking!  Nothing more frustrating than having albies bust all around you and they wont hit a thing, so having more tricks up your sleeve is always a bonus

 

My two cents on this - the owner of albie snax lives in the same town as me (western long island sound).  I have seen him first hand catch albies within two feet of the jetty to a local inlet.  They swarm in like a jet fighter squadron chasing bait, then turn on a dime inside and speed back out.  VERY difficult to hook up when they are doing this.  Essentially stating the snax do a great job on them when they are in close and a lead head would most likely have a higher probability of getting snagged in the rocks.  Now, out in the open or out beyond a jetty, definitely makes sense to extra distance on each cast

 

Hope this is helpful

 

Tight Lines

 

5 hours ago, patabate said:

Albie Snax has been a go to for albies and bass for me for the last 7 or more years. As you say it has some heft to cast well but also has a darting action. When albies are on anchovies or peanuts they are prone to hit the Snax. Same with bass when they are on small bait. Based on useless hunches I think the darting action is a draw. I rig them on a 4/0 Owner weighted keel hook. I retrieve it a a slow to moderate speed. 

As far as the Super Flukes go, I generally fish them unweighted on a 5/0 worm hook and retrieve them slower than the Snax. They are very effective for albies. The larger Flukes are also the go to lure for holdover bass when fished on a lead head. 

Great info here. 

Move got to get a hold of a few of these, along w/ keel weighed hooks.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zoom Fluke are great for Albies.  The last two my son caught (last year) were on Zooms with a 1/2 oz weighted jig head.  For some reason they hit both late.  One was right next to the kayak as he was taking it out of the water and the other was the same but at a dock.  I've caught a number of them on zooms, for me they work best near the end of the day when ripping tins aren't as productive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bring 2 setups when albie fishing. One for tins, epoxy minnows, deadly dicks etc & the other is for soft plastics. Super Zoom flukes or Albie Snax mounted on an unweighted 3/0 or 4/0 hook with the screw in @ the head. Sometimes they only want the rubber & sometimes they blow up @ your feet & the only thing to throw @ that point is the unweighted rubber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

I know many like and catch a variety of fish on Albi Snax. I also see & like the fact they have some weight to them (i.e. 1/2 oz).

I'm wondering if a fluke or super fluke on a 1/2 oz bullet head bucktail (died white or pink, whatever coloer Fluke is) would be as effective for albies etc?

I see people use weighted swim bait hook, probably makes it swim more level & if so, wondering why same wouldn't work w/ Zoom fluke or super fluke?

I'm asking beacuse I've heard when thes fish get really pickey, like Albies or Spanish, a soft bait fished a little slower & jerkey can get strikes. I've also heard that they sometimes pop up righ next to jetty, in which case, it would be easier to work, no?

Love to hear your thoughts and expereince please.

JD

I'm gearing up for albie season now and came across this post from 2007 by member foulhook/Bob

 

 

"I agree 100% on your reply here. The super fluke worked very well for me two weeks ago of RI. Albies were everywhere. More albies than I have ever seen anywhere before. Even the moster acre size schools could be choosy. When it came down to putting them in the boat the super fluke was the ticket without question. I do not rig them weightless though. I use a very small sea striker jighead and I bite off about a half inch of the fluke. I find that a fluid lift and drop with a steady moderate retreive is something they can't resist. Probably brought 30 albies to the boat two thursdays ago. Most on the super fluke."

 

 

This made so much sense to me I just restocked on flukes and jig heads this morning. -----whistlefish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.