Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
toe44

Thoughts on a telephoto lens..

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have a Canon 7D Mark II and my current telephoto lens is the Canon 70-300 USM IS. I buy all of my equipment used for a couple of reasons, I'm cheap, and I'm not good enough to warrant new. Currently looking for something in the 400mm range, Canon 100-400mm L series, Sigma, Tamron equivalents. I respect the knowledge on this forum and was looking for insight, good or bad on those options. I also consider stepping up to 150-600 range Sigma/Tamron options.

Thanks in advance... 

I would skip the 100-400, and go for the tamron 150-600 because if you shoot bird in flight you will want more reach than the 400 in general. 

I also have the canon 70-300mm, I tried out the 100-400 and decided to get the 150-600. 

Keep in mind of the weight on those lens. So go check them out if you have not held them. This way you make a decision knowing what you will get. 

My buddy has the 150-600 and it just looks like a load to carry around, plus research tells me that the Canon is razor sharp, and the 7D Mark II isn't full frame , 1.5x gets me to 600mm. 

one of the guys here is using the tamron, he cranks out some amazing shots with it, wish i could remember who, point being it appears to be excellent bang for your buck and yeah these lenses are heavy but what ya gonna do? however not sure if autofocus speed is affected mixing brands

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, toe44 said:

My buddy has the 150-600 and it just looks like a load to carry around, plus research tells me that the Canon is razor sharp, and the 7D Mark II isn't full frame , 1.5x gets me to 600mm. 

Canon 100-400 3.5lb vs 150-600 tamron 4.3lb

I have the tamron 150-600 on my Nikon. So far it’s fine for me but yes it’s a big lens to carry around. So is the 100-400 canon. 

Can you reach your intended target with 400mm? If yes, pick the 400mm. Do you find yourself always not enough reach? 

Jumping from 300 to 400mm is not much reach. Just saying. 

Edited by young

10 hours ago, young said:

Canon 100-400 3.5lb vs 150-600 tamron 4.3lb

I have the tamron 150-600 on my Nikon. So far it’s fine for me but yes it’s a big lens to carry around. So is the 100-400 canon. 

Can you reach your intended target with 400mm? If yes, pick the 400mm. Do you find yourself always not enough reach? 

Jumping from 300 to 400mm is not much reach. Just saying. 

I get torn thinking the 400mm would be enough, but with the crop sensor camera I get effectively 600mm out of it, yet I'd get 900mm out of he Tamron. I think it'll come down to the price I can find used on either one.

My Nikon is a crop sensor with the tamron 600. At times, I still want more than 900. If you cannot reach with the 400, then you will end up wanting to crop the image.

So for me it is reach, but if you don’t need it then go with what good deal you can find. 

I contemplated with the same lens 100-400 and stool on that for a couple of years. So far I have not regret my decision. Good luck with yours. 

On 8/16/2019 at 9:03 PM, toe44 said:

It doesn't really, the magnification doesn't change.

The small sensor just cuts off the rest of the image a full frame would see for you.

It's to bad they don't make a really good selection of cropped sensor lens, we end up carrying around a lot of glass that never gets used

with both lens being discussed..... that being said.

Wife has a Nikon 70/300 MM. a Nikon 80/400MM and the Tamron 150/600MM Gen. One

The Tamron is on her D500 100% of the time, the others gather dust, you always want more.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:59 PM, Plug and teaser said:

It doesn't really, the magnification doesn't change.

The small sensor just cuts off the rest of the image a full frame would see for you.

It's to bad they don't make a really good selection of cropped sensor lens, we end up carrying around a lot of glass that never gets used

with both lens being discussed..... that being said.

Wife has a Nikon 70/300 MM. a Nikon 80/400MM and the Tamron 150/600MM Gen. One

The Tamron is on her D500 100% of the time, the others gather dust, you always want more.

She should pick up my Nikon 200-500mm I have for sale... might change her mind about the 150-600.  Although I think the Tamron is smaller and you get that extra 100mm, so tough to argue that xD

Posted (edited) · Report post

Go for the 150-600mm, doesn't matter if it's Tamron or Sigma, you won't regret it. If you are looking for this range of telephoto lenses, you really want as much as possible.

You already have the 70-300, the 100-400 won't change too much for you in terms of reach, though you do get a big bump up on picture quality with the L lenses.

I use Nikon D500 (1.5x crop, similar to your Canon 7D2), and I use 200-500mm zoom and 600mm prime lenses. As Jim DE, Plug and teaser mentioned, if we are shooting birds, we always want more reach (longer lenses).

Edited by SurfGazer