Angler #1

Poachers at work

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

in Sandwich removing a good part of immature Oysters being propagated for the fall harvest by recreational shell fishermen It has been written that these immature Oysters may well be harmful if they are eaten and that thousands of dollars in value were stolen over the past two weeks . The town is still evaluating the actual loss to see even if they will be able to open the Oyster beds this fall. This is a heart break for the town as our new Natural Resource Department have been working hard to rebuild this fishery for the future . The plan was to reseed some of the creeks others locations to propagate some other areas in and around the creek beds for future harvesting . Now it is all up in limbo

It's interesting to speculate who may have done this, Carl.  No doubt there is a list of suspects.  Any insight into who they might be? 

Sad for the resource, but fortunately you and the other Sandwich scratchers have an option to go elsewhere.    

Since these were juvenile oysters, I have to assume they were in floating pouches?  If that is in fact the case, it's highly likely another private grower was the culprit.  Theft is always a concern when oysters are in this vulnerable stage. Too bad all that work got wiped out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Unfortunately the town left the cages right where someone can back right up to them with their truck.........:(

Edited by robc22

6 mins ago, robc22 said:

Unfortunately the town left the cages right where someone can back right up to them with their truck.........:(

The plot thickens.    

You really can't call these people poachers. In my book they're thieves. They stole these for resale and not to eat.

I used to grow over 65,000 adult oysters for Bourne each year, and we never had a single pouch stolen. I saw to it that they were grown in places that were highly visible by homeowners we knew, or accessible via boat only to me.

Edited by bob_G

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

You really can't call these people poachers. In my book they're thieves. They stole these for resale and not to eat.

I used to grow over 65,000 adult oysters for Bourne each year, and we never had a single pouch stolen. I saw to it that they were grown in places that were highly visible by homeowners we knew, or accessible via boat only to me.

Are we going to debate the meaning as is described in Websters as to what  poacher is? The word itself describes some one whom trespasses or steals. Also one who kills or takes wild game such as fish ] illegally They, whom ever it was did both and yes possibly to resell to a local farm or go into some ones special meal plan. 

Carl,

I did this for almost 9 years. Those oysters were stolen by another grower.  No one eats 4000 for a meal. They were either placed directly  on his grant, or possibly sold as "petites" to a market not in this area, probably RI.

I saw those oysters in Sandwich myself, and I wondered about the wisdom of growing them where they did.

Edited by bob_G

14 mins ago, bob_G said:

Carl,

I did this for almost 9 years. Those oysters were stolen by another grower.  No one eats 4000 for a meal. They were either placed directly  on his grant, or possibly sold as "petites" to a market not in this area, probably RI.

I saw those oysters in Sandwich myself, and I wondered about the wisdom of growing them where they did.

Bob no one has disputed what you posted other then you trying to change the meaning of poacher, that is every thing we both said it was. I would not be to sure as to where and if they were sold elsewhere out of state. Once you use the word stolen and by the meaning of poaching as written you have concluded that it is not poaching by saying you can not really call these people poachers , when then that is precisely who they are or may be.

Again, I did this for a living. Stealing, and reselling illicit oysters was a constant topic of conversation when all the Cape's shellfish constables met several times annually at our MSOA meetings and cookout.  This goes on more than you know.  It didn't happen in Bourne because I was so vigelent and a mean sob. These were my babies.

:laugh:

I'm not going to get into semantics with you. However, if those oysters were over 2.5" there's a good chance they are already sold on the petite market.