coastalfreak

Favorite thing about the surf.

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

My two recent ventures out after work and well into dark, were amazing experiences. 70° Santa Cruz weather, shorts and T-shirt well into the night. 

The first time had a myriad of shooting stars; some streaking across most of the skyline! 

And some time after dark, the sand fleas (mole crabs) became an absolute carpet! Everywhere i walked was two inches thick of tickling crabs. It took some meditation to continue casting and ignore the ankle deep tickles. 

The second trip had an odd orange glow to the east east, over the harbor and inshore from the lighthouse. At first glimpse, i thought fireworks. Second glimpse...sailboat?

Third glimpse...illuminated hot air balloon? It went from mushroom to full round, as i then watched the red, full moon rise above the harbor, an hour after the reverse was viewed to the west.

And each trip, there is that cyclical, magical moment every other minute when it is dead-quite. The Beach Boardwalk roller coaster screams are vividly clear, as is the blip/raspy sound from behind of a lighter toking up, whist the mile marker buoy goes woooo... Then the ground shakes as a blast of misty wind flutters your sodden day-hat, still adorned, with those several waves finally departing with effervescent fizzing, into the silence of distant screams and woooo... 

Anywhere else would have felt...sterile and lifeless. 

Not a huge fan of the surf. What I do like is the fog if it's low and thick and really limits visibility. I also like ocean towns with the smell and the moisture in the air at night. Otherwise I could take it or leave it. 

The bull red run, shark fishing, & to get away from the crowds.  The jetty in Port Aransas gets packed sometimes but you can always get away from everyone @ PINS beach in Texas.

8 hours ago, sandworm said:

the smell ,serenity, and the back pain from being on a set position with every cast

More like back pain from hopping across jetty rocks :) 

It can go from the most void lifeless marine enviroment one minute to ridiculous all out personal best fest the next. The surf is great for reading fishing conditions, wind, bait and will gift you a plug if you sift through the weed line. 

The cell phone impulse becomes a distant second when watching the surf beacuse you might miss an event that wont be repeated.

For me, fishing in general allows me to take my mind off all other thoughts that occupied my mind during the week.  It let me focus on a single task that I enjoy.  The adrenaline rush of catching fish is always a plus, but I always feel happier after a fishing day, regardless.  It's a way to bring calmness to a busy and noisy world that we all live in.