Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerseyMike609

Native Ultimate fx12

5 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JerseyMike609 said:

I just purchased a Native Ultimate Fx12 and would like to take it out in the bay,if anyone has this boat and can share there opinion on it I'd appreciate it.

Not self bailing.  Take a wave over the top and get ready to bail out the boat.    

Posted (edited) · Report post

Canoes are not self bailing either but I've seen people swim them out past the breakers so I'd imagine people take non self bailing boats into the bay,but yea if its rough I wouldnt wanna be out there,just looking to see if anyone has.thanks.

Edited by JerseyMike609

I wish I had asked the same question on here years ago...  I have owned an ultimate12 and a revo13 for years.  I have fished fresh, the bay and the open ocean.  DO NOT take the ultimate out in the bay. 99 times out of 100 you’d be fine.  That one time though when you’re out there and no forecast had the wind and waves picking up as much as you’re experiencing and suddenly you have to try and paddle and bail at the same time because you’re taking waves over the bow and if they get you side-on you’ll probably capsize and you’re already sitting lower in the water because you can’t paddle and bail at the same time...  ...I hope you get the idea, and know that I’m speaking from experience.  Forecasts aren’t foolproof and that’s why even though I love my ultimate12, it hasn’t seen the bay in years.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've had an ultimate 12 for near 10 years as part of my fleet.  Here is my two cents based on my experience. Three problems with fishing rough water in these boats. First the sides  of the bow and stern are high so they get pushed around by wind and waves. Second the sides arn't high enough amidships . If your going to take on water, this is likely where it will roll in. ( There is a guy on You tube that shows this pretty well. Just search "Ultimate 12 Where not to take") Lastly, IF it does take on water, you'll get in trouble fast  unless you have flotation bags installed.

Bottom line:   While I'm comfortable using the Ultimate in estuaries in decent weather, I would not consider it a good rough water boat at all. 

Edited by WeeHooker