Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul.f150

Recommended fishing line diameter

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Is there a disadvantage in using line that has a thinner diameter then your fishing rod recommends? For example my fluke pole is rated 1.5-3.0 PE which in terms of line diameter is roughly .20mm-.28mm, if I wanted to fish braid with a diameter of say .15mm would it affect the rods performance?

35 mins ago, Paul.f150 said:

Is there a disadvantage in using line that has a thinner diameter then your fishing rod recommends? For example my fluke pole is rated 1.5-3.0 PE which in terms of line diameter is roughly .20mm-.28mm, if I wanted to fish braid with a diameter of say .15mm would it affect the rods performance?

Right so that thinner line helps when fluking because the thinner line has less drag in the water and should be more sensitive. It won't be as abrasion resistant, but that's a sacrifice most make. Sounds like the rod is a 15-30lb rating based off the line class diameter you mentioned. Fishing 10-15lb braid should not be an issue.  

6 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Right so that thinner line helps when fluking because the thinner line has less drag in the water and should be more sensitive. It won't be as abrasion resistant, but that's a sacrifice most make. Sounds like the rod is a 15-30lb rating based off the line class diameter you mentioned. Fishing 10-15lb braid should not be an issue.  

Thanks Topwater, I'm currently running 15lb braid but would like to try 10lb and see if it helps get  lighter jigs down to the bottom, I really like the pole but don't like to use jigs heavier then 3oz-4oz with it as i feel it affects the action I can get on the jig.

Most 10lb braids sold in the US, say Superslick 8, Sufix 832 or J Braid, as examples are PE2 braids, they all break at 20-24lb or so with actual dia's of around 0.24mm, despite what the packaging states.

Most 15lb braids equate to PE2.5

18 hours ago, Paul.f150 said:

Thanks Topwater, I'm currently running 15lb braid but would like to try 10lb and see if it helps get  lighter jigs down to the bottom, I really like the pole but don't like to use jigs heavier then 3oz-4oz with it as i feel it affects the action I can get on the jig.

Yea you'll be just fine w 10lb if you're running 15lb. If you have reservations, bring a second rod on your trip if possible that you know works. 10lb has plenty of strength to lift a big fish. I fish 10lb on one setup and 15 on another and I've not had a problem on fish up to 8.5lbs.

Won't bother the rod, worry about the reel a little bit. Going way outside the design specifications can cause trouble with line lay and/or catch points.

3 hours ago, ermghoti said:

Won't bother the rod, worry about the reel a little bit. Going way outside the design specifications can cause trouble with line lay and/or catch points.

I'm currently using a calcutta 250, I believe 10lb braid shouldn't be an issue with that reel. I do have a smaller baitcaster like a curado that I could fall back on but I prefer the calcutta.