fishfinder

Harder to catch BLUEFISH Or STRIPED BASS?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Was having a discussion with a buddy about this would like to see what yall think?

In general as title say which is harder to catch bluefish or striped bass.Not harder to fight just in general which is harder to catch.

Let the games begin!!!

1 vote for striped bass

In the Canal over the past several years ... Bluefish 

From the Beach in Massachusetts over the past 4-5 years .... Bluefish 

Historically .... Striped Bass ...  no doubt about it.

Where did all the Blues go ....

11 mins ago, smellfish said:

In the Canal over the past several years ... Bluefish 

From the Beach in Massachusetts over the past 4-5 years .... Bluefish 

Historically .... Striped Bass ...  no doubt about it.

This is the truth for me as well. 

Stripers by far.  Not even close.  I have a hard time catching any stripers in summer and I catch so many blues. Total of blues is definitely higher than stripers annually.

Bass by far. I've thrown lures into blitzes for not a tap. Meanwhile it's almost as if a bluefish or snapper can sniff out a soft plastic from miles away just to ruin your day lol

Bass can be a really pain in the butt. Just today, in two different locations bass were slurping away left and right, and I was changing lures, retrieves, depths, direction and moving, you name it, I tried it. I even went down to a 15# leader, and tied direct.  And I even know I was using pretty close copies of the bait, but nothing, only one short. I felt like I was fly fishing for trout in a hammered river in Yellowstone.

Blues, I’m not really sure, I don’t really target them with same focus. If they come by, and I can reach them, I usually hook up. But if I was targeting them with the same focus, who knows, they may be equally a pain in the butt.

On 8/15/2019 at 1:45 PM, smellfish said:

I

Poor recruitment for almost all of the last decade put a real dent in their numbers.

Don';t be surprised if the stock assessment update coming out next month finds the stock to be overfished.  From what I'm hearing informally, that conclusion, and a resultant rebuilding plan, are on the way.,