LoneCaster

Tsunami SaltX Surf Rod?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

A buddy of mine just pulled the trigger on the 11ft 1-5oz. I'll be doing a side-by-side comparison with my Blackhole 11ft 3/4-4oz Striped Bass Special, since the specs and pricing on both are very similar. Stay tuned!

Edited by StripedBasstardz

A friend of mine at a new Asbury shop is giving me the 11 footer to play with.... 

I'm not gonna fish it until next week but will be able to wave it around like an idiot for a bit

He says it's pretty damn nice.  I replied with "punching above it's price class nice....?" he said feels like it.  

Sooooo I'm intrigued.  The offshored stuff Tsunami brings to the table has been consistently very good.   I hope this is another gem!

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 min ago, codyk35 said:

Interested in the weight of the actual rod.

My wildest educated guess says it'll be about 11oz for the 11ft.

Edited by StripedBasstardz

3 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

A friend of mine at a new Asbury shop is giving me the 11 footer to play with.... 

I'm not gonna fish it until next week but will be able to wave it around like an idiot for a bit

He says it's pretty damn nice.  I replied with "punching above it's price class nice....?" he said feels like it.  

Sooooo I'm intrigued.  The offshored stuff Tsunami brings to the table has been consistently very good.   I hope this is another gem!

Just do a vid first impression review for it!

I was surprised when I got the text that my buddy was home and said he had the "rods"    Plural

He grabbed me an 11' AND a 9'6

The 11' is rated 1-5

and the 9'6 rated 1/2 to 3

Comparing the 9'6 to my tiralejo 9'6 which I love.  The easiest way to compare the actions when bending them under equal pressure in the comfort of my home into the carpet...The Salt X is much easier to load and loads deeper under the same pressure.

The 11 footer has a very limber action.   It's not a st croix 3/4-4 10'6 mojo action nor is it a 10'6  2-6 ounce action.......Both Salt X's I have are much MUCH softer.

If I allign the tips of the 9'6 tiralejo with the 11'  the bend under the same load is very similar.   The power really starts to come in about 4 feet from the rod tip on the 11 footer.  Which will likely make for easy casting.  But I'm not sure how it'll effect max distance compared to rods that get into their power section much much sooner.  Or how it will low trajectory punch under and into a stiff wind....  I have a feeling lots of guys are gonna like the action of the 11 footer.   It has a comfy all day plugging type action....which isn't common in 11 footers.

I was told the 10'6 has a bit of a faster action.  Closer to that of what you'd expect of the st croix rods.  

The build quality is top notch.  Nice sticky butts with some of my favorite reel seats.  The double locking nut is nice and makes for a nice extension of the bottom nut so you're not gripping threads.   And it's great at keeping the seat locked.  Which can loosen when pencil poppin.   they use the same winn gripp material as as a butt grip and below the seat.  Same as on the Salt x knob.

I like the looks.......There's enough goin on cosmetically to make it cool...But it's black and silver so it's a clean kinda cool....not slap ya in the junk then in the face like so many rods today.

I think the 11' footer may make for the perfect pencil rod....(I was never a fan of the 3/4-4 and 2-6 st croix for pencil poppin...felt they recovered to0 quick and didn't wiggle welll.)    

The 9'6 is likely to become a very popular rod for mag darters, cordells pencils and redfins, sp minnows and ligher tins and jigs along the bay shore flats.

I don't want to be taken out of context...as I literally spent 5 mins bending rods....I didn't even grab others out of my closet to compare...I just had my 9'6 right in front of me and made for a perfect comparison.  

My understanding is they wanted this rod in for the holidays so the first shipment is a bit light in volume.  The salt x reels sold out quick.....So if you want one of these sticks before santa comes.....definitely make it a point to check them out ASAP as I don't know if the next shipment is gonna hit before xmas.

I say that not just because how many salt x's sold right off the bat....but I'm not sure many of you gents realize how popular Tsunami has become in the Northeast....Every shop I talk to they all say the Tsunami brand is one of their best sellers.   Not tryin to sound like an Advertisement.  But just passing along what I heard.  And what I've seen in the past.

Weights   10.4 for the Salt x 9'6

13.5 for the 11 foot Salt X

10.0 for the Tiralejo 9'6

These are estimates..give or take a quarter ounce.....the numbers jump around when trying to support rods on a scale vs hanging them on a scale.

And Jeffrey Epstein Didn't Kill Himself..................................

4 hours ago, StripedBasstardz said:

Just do a vid first impression review for it!

Gonna be a bit....Still haven't figured out a good way to do it......

Though....Once I do I have on deck a st croix project involving every single one of their rods.

And I still have a few of these to do before I film rods

It looks like a good rod for the money, good build quality, but did seem a little soft for my liking so discarded it when I picked it up as something I didn't need and didn't give it much attention. Guy in video is a good friend of mine who I made some vids with last week, so can get the breakdown from him and give it another visit before I report back.